Our classes focus on teaching easy and delicious meals and snacks based on vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, nuts, fish, low-fat dairy, lean meat and beneficial fats. We'll share tips for saving time, cutting costs and having fun making tasty, healthy food that you and your family will love! All classes will include tastings of each recipe.
Classes Held at the U-M Food for Life Kitchen
Just as the kitchen is the center of the home, we have created the U-M Food for Life Kitchen, a dedicated, learning space to serve as a hub for a number of programs where food and health intersect.
Culinary medicine is a growing field that explores the links between food and health, applying the foundations of nutritional science side-by-side with traditional medical interventions in clinical care. Michigan Medicine is breaking new ground in this emerging specialty. A multidisciplinary partnership is working to advance our knowledge of the medical consequences of what, when and how much we eat, and offering practical advice and experiences to help patients develop smart, sensible, sustainable food strategies.
Leadership and Partners for the U-M Food for Life Kitchen
Leadership is provided by:
- William D. Chey, MD, Timothy T. Nostrant Collegiate Professor of GI & Nutrition Sciences; Director – Digestive Disorders Nutrition & Lifestyle Program
- Erica Owen, Manager MHealthy Nutrition and Weight Management
Founding partners in the initiative include:
- Michigan Medicine’s Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Michigan Medicine’s Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Diabetes (MEND)
- Frankel Cardiovascular Center
- MHealthy, U-M’s health and well-being service for faculty and staff
- University of Michigan School of Public Health, Nutritional Sciences Department
Learn more about culinary medicine, the various classes offered at the kitchen, and images of the space.
This activity qualifies for MHealthy Rewards 2020! Benefits-eligible faculty and staff can go to the StayWell Portal to learn how to successfully complete this activity to earn points towards a $100 reward.