University and Community Resources

Coaching and Guidance

MHealthy Resource Coach

One-on-one, confidential assistance is available to you through MHealthy’s Resource Coach program. Get help with locating the right resources at U-M and in your community for finding food, meeting basic needs, understanding the federal CARES Act, and more. In some cases, small grants are available to cover an urgent financial need. 

Emergency Financial Aid

Michigan Department of Health and Human Services

Immediate help may be available if you are facing conditions of extreme hardship or emergencies threatening your health and safety. State Emergency Relief and the Weatherization Assistance Program combine financial assistance and contracts with a network of nonprofit organizations to help low-income households. Call (855) 275-6424. Visit website

Friends in Deed

Friends in Deed is an interfaith volunteer organization that provides for needs of Washtenaw County residents that are not being met by other human service agencies. This includes emergency financial assistance for basic needs, including transportation and car repair, childcare, clothing, prescriptions and medical needs. Funds also available for unmet basic needs such as housing, utilities and employment needs. Serving only Washtenaw County residents, with a priority towards low-income residents. Proof of income and residency required. Call 484-7607.

Utility Shutoff Prevention  

Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Call (855) 275-6424. Visit website

SOS Community Services

Help for families and individuals in economic crisis, including eviction prevention, emergency food assistance and distribution of personal care items. Limited assistance available for housing-related transportation needs. SOS offers comprehensive services for homeless families. Please see the website for more information. SOS does not have income eligibility criteria. 101 S. Huron, Ypsilanti, MI 48197. Call (734) 485-8730. Visit website

DTE Programs Case Management

Helps low-income customers reduce their unpaid balances by providing a personal payment plan, agency referrals, and follow-up. Call (800) 477-4747 or visit the DTE website

Consumers Energy Shut-off Protection Plan (SPP)

The Shut-off Protection Plan provides year-round protection from shut off and is available to senior citizens aged 65 and over regardless of income, as well as customers with a household income at or below 200 percent of the federal income eligibility guidelines.

(800) 477-5050. Visit website

Housing and Eviction Prevention

Michigan Medicine Housing Bureau for Seniors 

This service informs and empowers older adults (55+) and those who care about them with guidance and resources regarding sustainable housing in Washtenaw County and beyond. They provide the following services: foreclosure prevention, eviction prevention, and housing counseling all with a common goal of creating sustainable housing for older adults.  Contact Intake staff at 734-998-9339. 

Michigan Department of Health and Human Services

Call (855) 275-6424. Visit the MDHHS website

SOS Community Services

Call (734) 485-8730. Visit the SOS website

Friends in Deed

Call 484-7607 or visit the Friends in Deed website.

Salvation Army

Emergency services for low-income families and individuals, including 24-hour temporary shelter at Staples Family Center for adults and families. Food, utilities, rent, eviction assistance, low-cost short-term counseling and client advocacy. 100 Arbana Dr. , Ann Arbor, MI 48103 (and several other locations serving all of Washtenaw Co.)  

Call (734) 668-8353 (Ann Arbor), (734) 482-4700 (Ypsilanti)

Housing Foreclosure and Debt Counseling

UM Credit Union Financial Counselors

Enjoy free financial counseling sessions for UMCU members. A team of certified financial counselors will analyze your income, basic living expenses and debts during an initial two-hour consultation. This free review will help you identify your short and long-term goals and determine the best way to achieve them.  A credit report review is also available. Various workshops are presented during the year to educate members on the wise use of credit and preventing identity theft.

Call: (734) 662-8200 or (800) 968-8628. Sessions are scheduled Monday-Friday. (You must be a member to schedule an appointment.) Visit for more information.

DFCU Financial

DFCU Financial operates a UMHS branch office at 1500 E. Medical Center Dr, Ann Arbor 48109, Level 2, Near the cafeteria.

Call: (888) 336-2700. Visit the DCFU website for more information.

Step Forward Michigan

The Michigan Homeowner Assistance Nonprofit Housing Corporation (MHA) acting through Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) has received federal funds from the U.S. Department of Treasury to help Michigan take a step forward through a comprehensive, statewide strategy that is aimed to help homeowners who are at high risk of default or foreclosure.

Visit the Step Forward website.

Washtenaw County Foreclosure Intervention

The Washtenaw County Foreclosure Intervention Collaborative is a free service offered by the Michigan State University Extension Office, Washtenaw County Treasurer's Office, Housing Bureau for Seniors, and Legal Services of South Central Michigan.

Call: 1-888-995-HOPE (4673). Visit the Washtenaw County Foreclosure Prevention website.

Temporary Housing/Shelter

Alpha House

Provides emergency shelter for families only who live in Washtenaw County. Alpha House

4290 Jackson Road, Ann Arbor, MI  48103.

Call: (734) 822-0220. Visit the Alpha House website.

Friends in Deed

Call 484-7607 or visit the Friends in Deed website.

Salvation Army

Call (734) 668-8353 (Ann Arbor), (734) 482-4700 (Ypsilanti)

Shelter Association of Washtenaw County

Provides temporary shelter and supportive services in a safe and caring environment. Works with the community to allocate resources to meet the needs of the homeless. 312. W. Huron, Ann Arbor, MI 48107.

Call: (734) 662-2829. Send an email, or visit the Shelter Association website.

SOS Community Services

Call (734) 485-8730. Visit the SOS website.

Clothing, Food, and Other Aid

Dress for Success

Business clothing for women only. Call for an appointment and bring a referral letter with you. Hours are Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

5361 McCauley Drive, Ste 1125,
Ypsilanti, MI 48198.

Call: (734) 712-0517. Email: Visit the Dress for Success website.

Friends in Deed

Call 484-7607  or visit the Friends in Deed website.

SOS Community Services

Call 734-485-8730. Visit the SOS website.

Salvation Army

Call (734) 668-8353 (Ann Arbor), (734) 482-4700 (Ypsilanti)

The Women's Center of Southeastern Michigan

The Women's Center of Southeastern Michigan is a nonprofit women's resource center based in Ann Arbor that provides affordable counseling, financial, legal, and job-related services. Our interwoven services work together as a "safety net" to promote economic and emotional recovery.

1100 Victors Way, #10
Ann Arbor, MI 48108-5220

Call: (734) 973-6779. Email: Visit the Women's Center website.

Food Gatherers

Food Gatherers helps to alleviate hunger and eliminate its causes in our community

Call: (734) 761-2796. Email: Visit the Food Gatherers website

Included here is a list of all Food Pantries in Washtenaw County.

Health Care Assistance

Friends in Deed

Call 484-7607 or visit the Friends in Deed website.

SOS Community Services

Call (734) 485-8730 or visit the SOS website.

Hope Clinic

Hope has access to very limited funds to help with essential emergency needs. You must bring proof of income and ID, a documentation of the amount needed and any decision letters from other agencies.

518 Harriet St.
Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Call: (734) 484-2989. Visit the Hope Clinic website.

Packard Health West

1915 Pauline Boulevard
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
(734) 926-4900
(734) 926-4901 fax

Visit the Packard Health website.

Sliding scale available; proof of income required.  Primary care for adults and children. Nutritionist, psychologist, and social worker on staff. Call for hours.

Transportation Assistance

Friends in Deed

Call (734) 484-7607 or visit the Friends in Deed website.

Power, Inc.

Call: (734) 961-1990. Visit the Power Inc. website.

Child Care

Work/Life Resource Center

Consult the resources available on the Work/Life Resource Center website.

Support Groups and Mental Health

Learn more about the many university resources available to support your mental and emotional health

Michigan Mental Health Networks

Self-help and supportive groups, community providers, and news articles on mental health topics and other resources. Visit the Michigan Mental Health Networks website.