U-M Resources for Supervisors

The University of Michigan provides many policies and resources to help you do your job well. You will find reference to them throughout this training. If you are not already familiar with them, you may want to review them to better understand how they are referenced in the training as well as how and when to use them.


The training references several University policies related to concerns for mental health and substance misuse.

Programs and Resource Personnel

The University also provides many professional consultants to help you work with staff who may have mental health or substance misuse problems.

ADA Coordinator at the Equity, Civil Rights, and Title IX Office

(734) 615-2400; https://ecrt.umich.edu/

The ADA Coordinator in the Equity, Civil Rights, and Title IX Office is available to consult with you in person or by phone about reasonable accommodations for staff and faculty experiencing mental illness. Employees can also request the ADA Coordinator’s assistance in working to resolve accommodation issues.

FASCCO/Michigan Medicine Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience

FASAP Dearborn campus (313) 593-5430; 
FASCCO Ann Arbor and Flint campuses (734) 936-8660; fasap.umich.edu

Michigan Medicine Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience (734) 763-5409; 

Counselors at the FASCCO and the Michigan Medicine Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience are available by phone or in person to consult with you regarding your concerns about an employee’s mental health or behavior.  Counselors can help you understand the seriousness of particular situations and provide coaching to help with difficult conversations. They can also consult with you regarding return- to-work issues. Supervisors on the central, Flint and Dearborn campuses are encouraged to call FASCCO; supervisors in the hospital/health-care system should call Michigan Medicine Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience.

You are encouraged to recommend FASCCO or Michigan Medicine Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience services to staff and faculty who are, or appear to be experiencing, emotional or behavioral problems. You cannot require or mandate employees to visit either service unless you are initiating proceedings under “Fitness for Duty. ” Most employees respond favorably when either FASCCO or Michigan Medicine Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience is suggested in a positive manner as a resource that can help them with their problems.

Human Resources

UM has several different categories of HR representatives with whom you can consult. You should talk with your supervisor to determine when it is appropriate to consult your department’s internal HR representative, and when it is appropriate to consult with Michigan Medicine HR, Staff HR Services, Academic HR, or the Office of Clinical Affairs.  Because of differences in protocol in different areas of the University, this training simply refers to HR and relies on you to talk ahead of time with your supervisor to determine which level of HR to involve.

Unit HR

Most departments have internal HR personnel. As guidelines for consulting with these representatives and involving central HR representatives vary, you should discuss your office protocol with your supervisor or administrative head.

Central Human Resources

Staff HR Services
(734) 763-2387

Staff HR Services serves the University, its management and diverse staffs in the development, implementation, interpretation and administration of human resource policies, procedures, practices and external regulations related to labor/staff relations, and overall HR and Affirmative Action functions. They are available to consult regarding the management of work performance and behavior issues. They will help develop approaches for providing accommodations or adjustments as well as addressing inability or disciplinary issues.

University of Michigan Health System 
Human Resource Services (UMHS HR)

(734) 647-5538

Michigan Medicine provides an office of HR specialists who provide a full range of professional personnel services including human resources information, human resources planning, management, employee relations, and labor relations. The units covered by Michigan Medicine HR services include the University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, the Medical School, University Health Service, and Michigan Health Corporation. Michigan Medicine HR services these units with similar assistance to that provided by Staff HR Services.

Office of Clinical Affairs (OCA)
(734) 936-5814

Michigan Medicine Service Chiefs and Chairs who have concerns about the health or behavior of professional health care providers under their supervision should consult with OCA.

Academic Human Resources
(734) 763-8938

Chairs, Deans and Directors of Schools and Colleges should consult with Academic HR regarding issues related to teaching or research faculty or other instructional staff.

Environmental Health and Safety (EHS)

EHS website
(734) 647-1143

The individual who serves as the UM Drug Testing Officer and the Commercial Driver’s License liaison for Department of Transportation requirements is located in EHS. This office also provides booklets and a video about substance abuse and guidance for talking with individuals with possible substance abuse problems.


Work~Connections website
(734) 615-0643

Work~Connections staff are available to consult with you regarding medical absences. Their staff will receive and review documentation from physicians and qualified psychologists, and liaise with them regarding diagnosis, treatment plans and progress as well as the duration of the absence. Along with counselors from FASAP and UMHS EAP, they are available to consult with you and your staff regarding return-to-work preparation and issues.