Staff HR Services serves the university, its management and diverse staffs in the development, implementation, interpretation, and administration of human resources policies, procedures, practices and external regulations related to labor/staff relations, salary administration, compensation and classification, recruiting and employment, and overall University Human Resources functions. We provide leadership and education in the identification and resolution of concerns related to the management of the university.
We always respect the dignity of staff while representing the best interest of the University of Michigan.
Staff HR Services provides advice and assistance in human resource matters affecting primary staff, as well as bargained-for groups, and university organizations. Advice and assistance are guided by the Standard Practice Guide and the Regents Bylaws.
Find your school, unit, or department's Staff HR representative
The services provided by Staff HR include:
- Collective bargaining and memoranda of understanding with American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, Police Officers Association of Michigan, University of Michigan Skilled Trades, International Union of Operating Engineers, and International Alliance of Theatrical State Employees
- Contract negotiations
- Contract administration, including interpretation of contracts
- Grievances, discipline and discharge processes
- Dispute resolution
- Performance management (including attendance)
- Non-bargained-for grievances, discipline, or discharge processes
- Negotiated termination agreements
- Organizational redesign
Policy Development and Administration
External Agency Complaints and Lawsuits
- We work closely with Office of the General Counsel and unit representatives to investigate and respond appropriately to complaints and charges
- Questions or concerns about law or regulations related to employment or to complaints filed externally may be directed to your school, college or unit's Staff HR Representative
- Review and approval of reduction-in-force requests
- Consultation on compliance requirements
- Coordination of the Police Department Oversight Committee
Specific questions related to Michigan Medicine staff can be directed to the Michigan Medicine Solutions Center by calling 734-647-5538 or visiting the Michigan Medicine Human Resources website.