Online Tutorial For Supervisors: Promoting Mental Health In The Workplace
The MHealthy Mental and Emotional Health program developed this online tutorial for all U-M supervisors, managers, service chiefs, chairs, and other leaders to help them work in a constructive and informed manner with staff and faculty who may be experiencing mental health problems or substance misuse.
In this tutorial, you will learn:
- Key facts about mental health problems most frequently encountered in the workplace-anxiety, depression, Attention Deficit Disorder, and substance misuse
- How mental health problems are covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act
- How and when to engage constructively with staff and faculty who are experiencing problems functioning in the work place
- When to access University resources to help you work effectively with staff and faculty encountering possible mental health problems
- How to recognize workplace behavior or performance problems that might be related to mental health problems
- When to call on appropriate University resources to assist in managing difficult situations regarding employee behavior and work performance
- How best to intervene in problem situations
- How to refer staff and faculty who might have a mental health problem to appropriate University resources
- How to protect staff and faculty confidentiality
- How to continue to supervise staff and faculty who have been referred for assistance
This course is divided into 3 sections:
- Section 1: What you need to know about mental health problems and substance misuse
- Section 2: Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Section 3: Engaging with staff and faculty members in an interactive process
You may also download and print this course as a reference [PDF].
Who must take this lesson?
This training is intended for all supervisors, managers, service chiefs and department chairs at the University of Michigan, including central campus, the Health System and Flint and Dearborn campuses.
The University of Michigan provides many resources to help supervisors deal with mental health issues in the workplace. You will find reference to them throughout this training. A summary page listing these resources is included with this training.