University Resources for Mental and Emotional Health

Michigan Medicine Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience

The Michigan Medicine Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience is an assessment, referral, consultation and short-term counseling service. Our services are confidential, free, and available to all Michigan Medicine faculty, staff, and their benefit-eligible adult dependents. Guidance is provided for employees whether the problem arises in one's personal life or in the workplace.  

(734) 763-5409

Faculty and Staff Counseling and Consultation Office (FASCCO)

The Faculty and Staff Counseling and Consultation Office (FASCCO) provides support and assistance to University staff and faculty in resolving personal or work related concerns. Through a range of sensitive and innovative services, FASCCO seeks to enhance the emotional health, well-being and job performance of members of the university community. By providing confidential and professional counseling, coaching, training and consultation services to staff, faculty, retirees, benefit-eligible adult dependents, and departments, FASCCO helps individuals develop and foster strengths and resiliency to enhance their personal and professional lives.

(734) 936-8660

Addiction Treatment Services (UMATS)

UMATS is part of the U-M Department of Psychiatry's Substance Abuse Section and is committed to providing outstanding clinical care for people recovering from alcohol and other drug problems.

(734) 232-0600

NOTE: To obtain treatment for alcohol and other drug problems at UMATS, please call the U-M Department of Psychiatry:

  • Toll-Free (800) 525-5188
  • Adults: (734) 764-9190
  • Adolescents: (734) 764-7269

Alcohol Management Program, MHealthy

Alcohol Management Program is a brief, confidential educational program that helps you eliminate drinking problems by reducing your drinking or stopping altogether. The Alcohol Management program is for people with mild to moderate alcohol problems who want to eliminate the negative consequences of their drinking. Individual consultation is available either in person or by telephone.

(734) 647-6691

Toll-Free (800) 222-5145

Center for Education of Women+ (CEW+)

The Center for Education of Women+ (CEW+), a unit of the University of Michigan, offers services to students, faculty, staff, and community members; advocates for women in higher education and in the workplace; and adds to our knowledge of women's lives through our ongoing research program. The CEW's counseling service assists hundreds of women and men each year as they make decisions about their futures. The comprehensive counseling program supports the exploration of educational and career interests within the context of relationships and life circumstances.

(734) 764-6360

Eisenberg Family Depression Center Toolkit

The Depression Center Toolkit is an online resource from the Depression Center that provides information, tools, and support to guide you through your mental health journey. The Toolkit includes self-assessments, an explanation of available treatment options, tips for coping with a mental illness, and a list of ways to support others and raise awareness.

Geriatrics Center and Turner Senior Resource Center

U-M Geriatrics Center and Turner Senior Resource Center's Social Work & Community Programs aim to help people achieve the highest well-being. Our social workers offer individual and group counseling in the clinic to both older adults and family members. A wide range of support groups, educational programs, and peer counseling services are also available. The center also offers daycare for older adults with dementia. Information and support for caregivers is provided by telephone, email and through individual and group sessions.

(734) 764-2556

House Officer Mental Health Program, Michigan Medicine

The House Officer Mental Health Program provides confidential counseling, evaluation, and psychotherapy for house officers and their significant others. The program is staffed by psychiatrists who know the medical setting. They have experience treating the full range of personal and work problems of physicians at all levels of training.

Contact [email protected], 734-763-9853, or pager #21616.

U-M International Center

The U-M International Center provides a variety of services to assist international students, scholars, faculty and staff at the University of Michigan. The International Center advises on adjustment to U.S. society and American culture, academic concerns and community resources, and also conducts workshops and orientation sessions for international students, scholars, and U-M departments.

(734) 764-9310

U-M Spectrum Center

The U-M Spectrum Center provides a comprehensive range of education, information and advocacy services working to create and maintain an open, safe and inclusive environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students, faculty, and staff, their families and friends, and the campus community at large. Services include social and support groups.

(734) 763-4186

Department of Spiritual Care, Michigan Medicine

The Department of Spiritual Care at Michigan Medicine provides spiritual support through an interdenominational team of chaplains available 24 hours a day. Our chaplains provide private devotions, scripture and prayer, spiritual counseling, and sacraments. The Pastoral Care office is located in room 2A220 on Level 2 of University Hospital. The University Hospital chapel is located on the second floor of University Hospital. The C.S. Mott Children's Hospital prayer chapel is on the eighth floor of Mott Hospital. There is also an outdoor garden area for quiet reflection.

(734) 936-4041

Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES)

Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES) provides emergency/urgent walk-in evaluation and crisis phone services available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for people of all ages. The following services are provided; psychiatric evaluation, treatment recommendations; crisis intervention; screening for inpatient psychiatric hospitalization, and mental health and substance abuse treatment referral information.

To make an appointment, walk in or call: (734) 936-5900 TTY: (800) 649-3777

(734) 996-4747

U-M Psychological Clinic

The University of Michigan Psychological Clinic provides psychological care for students and residents of Ann Arbor and neighboring communities, including University staff and faculty, graduate and undergraduate students.

(734) 764-3471

Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC)

The Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC) provides services for the U-M community related to sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, sexual harassment, and stalking. SAPAC offers crisis intervention, outreach, counseling, advocacy, consultation, training, awareness, and prevention.

(734) 998-9368

24-hour Crisis Line: (734) 936-3333

Sleep Disorders Center

The University of Michigan Sleep Disorders Center diagnoses and treats patients who have problems with their sleep or level of alertness. Specific problems addressed at the Sleep Disorders Center include excessive daytime sleepiness, insomnia, sleep apnea, snoring, narcolepsy, abnormal sleep-wake patterns, nocturnal seizures, and abnormal behaviors during sleep. The large majority of sleep problems can be improved, controlled, or eliminated.

(734) 936-9020

Stress and Anxiety Disorders Program

The Stress and Anxiety Disorders Program is a subspecialty clinic within the U-M Department of Psychiatry. The program is committed to providing state-of-the-art treatment for anxiety disorders and maintaining scientific leadership in the study of these disorders.

(734) 764-5348

University Center for the Child and Family (UCCF)

The University Center for the Child and Family (UCCF) is a University of Michigan facility offering a comprehensive range of mental health services for children and families in the community. UCCF offers diagnostic and learning evaluations, therapy, and other mental health services to children and families in the following areas: Learning Disabilities, Social Skills, ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Emotional and Behavioral Concerns, Parenting, Grief and Loss, and Relationship Issues for Couples. UCCF participates with several insurance providers and sliding scale fees are also available.

(734) 764-9466

Work-Life Resource Center (WLRC)

The Work-Life Resource Center (WLRC) connects U-M families to child care resources including the U-M Children’s Centers, Campus Child Care Homes, and links to searchable databases of all centers and homes. In addition, WLRC offers backup child care (Kids Kare at Home), an online posting board of U-M students and retirees who offer child care and other support (Family Helpers), and access to WLRC also provides a list of campus lactation room locations, elder care resources, and an annual conference on work-life integration.  Contact (734) 936-8677, or email [email protected]

Community Resources:

Community Mental Health Services Programs

Mental health services in Michigan are coordinated through local Community Mental Health Services Programs (CMHSPs). This website provides an alphabetical list of local CMHSPs. The list includes contact information for your local program.

Michigan Department of Community Health: Mental Health and Substance Abuse

The Michigan Department of Community Health: Mental Health and Substance Abuse provides support and services for adults with serious mental illness, children with serious emotional disturbance, people with developmental disabilities, and people with substance use disorders.

(517) 373-3740

Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS)

Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS) helps Michigan residents with disabilities achieve employment and self-sufficiency. A person with a disability may be eligible for MRS services if the disability causes problems in preparing for, finding, or keeping a job. Any person with a disability who is interested in receiving job rehabilitation services may call the nearest MRS office.

Toll Free (800) 605-6722

TTY (888) 605-6722

SOS Community Services

SOS Community Services responds with care and respect to families in need by working in partnerships that result in economic, family, and residential stability. SOS offers services to families and individuals in Washtenaw County who are homeless or who are experiencing housing-related crises. Our Housing Crisis Services include housing relocation, eviction prevention, short-term case management, shelter location assistance, utility assistance, distribution of emergency food and personal care items, housing-related transportation assistance, and referrals to other community resources.

(734) 484-4300