University Resources for Mental and Emotional Health

Michigan Medicine Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience

The Michigan Medicine Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience is an assessment, referral, consultation and short-term counseling service. Our services are confidential, free, and available to all Michigan Medicine faculty, staff and their immediate families. Guidance is provided for employees whether the problem arises in one's personal life or in the workplace.  

(734) 763-5409

Faculty and Staff Counseling and Consultation Office (FASCCO)

The Faculty and Staff Counseling and Consultation Office (FASCCO) provides support and assistance to University staff and faculty in resolving personal or work related concerns. Through a range of sensitive and innovative services, FASCCO seeks to enhance the emotional health, well-being and job performance of members of the university community. By providing confidential and professional counseling, coaching, training and consultation services to staff, faculty, retirees, benefit-eligible dependents and departments, FASCCO helps individuals develop and foster strengths and resiliency to enhance their personal and professional lives.

(734) 936-8660

Addiction Treatment Services (UMATS)

UMATS is part of the U-M Department of Psychiatry's Substance Abuse Section, and is committed to providing outstanding clinical care for people recovering from alcohol and other drug problems.

(734) 232-0600

NOTE: To obtain treatment for alcohol and other drug problems at UMATS, please call the U-M Department of Psychiatry:

Toll Free (800) 525-5188

Adults: (734) 764-9190

Adolescents: (734) 764-7269

Alcohol Management Program, MHealthy

Alcohol Management is a brief, confidential educational program that helps you eliminate drinking problems by reducing your drinking or stopping altogether. The Alcohol Management program is for people with mild to moderate alcohol problems who want to eliminate the negative consequences of their drinking. Individual consultation is available either in person or by telephone.

(734) 647-6691

Toll Free (800) 222-5145

Center for Education of Women (CEW)

The Center for the Education of Women (CEW), a unit of the University of Michigan, offers services to students, faculty, staff and community members; advocates for women in higher education and in the workplace; and adds to our knowledge of women's lives through our ongoing research program. The CEW's counseling service assists hundreds of women and men each year as they make decisions about their futures. The comprehensive counseling program supports exploration of educational and career interests within the context of relationships and life circumstances.

(734) 764-6360

FRIENDS Depression Education and Resource Center (FDERC)

The FRIENDS Depression Education and Resource Center (FDERC) has a wealth of information related to depression. FDERC is a full-service library with video and audiotapes, books, pamphlets, information sheets and workbooks about depression. The FDERC provides accurate, state-of-the-art educational materials and programs for patients, families, and the community.

(734) 764-8147

Geriatrics Center and Turner Senior Resource Center

U-M Geriatrics Center's Social Work & Community Programs aim to help people achieve the highest well-being. Our social workers offer individual and group counseling in the clinic to both older adults and family members. A wide range of support groups, educational programs, and peer counseling services are also available. The center also offers daycare for older adults with dementia. Information and support for caregivers is provided by telephone, email and through individual and group sessions.

(734) 764-2556

Learning & Professional Development (LPD), MHealthy

The MHealthy Learning & Professional Development Center is a full-service lending library located in the East Ann Arbor Health Center. LPD has a complete collection of health materials which includes electronic, print, and audiovisual resources. Use the online search feature to locate materials of interest to you. Some information can also be accessed online.

Learn more about LPD

(734) 647-5645

House Officer Mental Health Program, UMHS

The House Officer Mental Health Program provides confidential counseling, evaluation, and psychotherapy for house officers and their significant others. The program is staffed by psychiatrists who know the medical setting. They have experience treating the full range of personal and work problems of physicians at all levels of training.

(734) 647-9776

(734) 936-6266 #13728 pager

International Center

The U-M International Center provides a variety of services to assist international students, scholars, faculty and staff at the University of Michigan. The International Center advises on adjustment to U.S. society and American culture, academic concerns and community resources, and also conducts workshops and orientation sessions for international students, scholars, and U-M departments.

(734) 764-9310

Office of Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender Affairs

The Office of Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender Affairs provides a comprehensive range of education, information and advocacy services working to create and maintain an open, safe and inclusive environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students, faculty, and staff, their families and friends, and the campus community at large. Services include social and support groups.

(734) 763-4186

Pastoral Care Office, UMHS

The UMHS Pastoral Care office provides spiritual support through an interdenominational team of chaplains available 24 hours a day. Our chaplains provide private devotions, scripture and prayer, spiritual counseling, and sacraments. The Pastoral Care office is located in room 2A220 on Level 2 of University Hospital. The University Hospital chapel is located on the second floor of University Hospital. The C.S. Mott Children's Hospital prayer chapel is on the eighth floor of Mott Hospital. There is also an outdoor garden area for quiet reflection.

(734) 936-4041

U-M Cardiovascular Medicine at Domino's Farms, Stress Management Services

Cardiovascular Medicine at Domino's Farms considers stress management to be an essential component of wellness and offers stress management classes and individual consultations to enhance health and well being. Classes include Restoring Balance: Tools for Stress Management, Beginning Meditation and Deepening Meditation. Individual consultations may include strategies for life balance, ways of coping with stress, instruction in relaxation techniques and/or coaching to implement behavior change. Services are open to all UM staff, faculty, students, patients and the general public.  

(734) 998-5679

Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES)

Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES) provides emergency/urgent walk-in evaluation and crisis phone services available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for people of all ages. The following services are provided; psychiatric evaluation, treatment recommendations; crisis intervention; screening for inpatient psychiatric hospitalization and mental health and substance abuse treatment referral information.

To make an appointment, walk-in or call: (734) 936-5900 TTY: (800) 649-3777

(734) 996-4747

Psychological Clinic

The University of Michigan Psychological Clinic provides psychological care for students and residents of Ann Arbor and neighboring communities, including University staff and faculty, graduate and undergraduate students.

(734) 764-3471

Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC)

SAPAC provides services for the U-M community related to sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, sexual harassment, and stalking. SAPAC offers crisis intervention, outreach, counseling, advocacy, consultation, training, awareness, and prevention.

(734) 998-9368

24-hour Crisis Line: (734) 936-3333

Sleep Disorders Center

The University of Michigan Sleep Disorders Center diagnoses and treats patients who have problems with their sleep or level of alertness. Specific problems addressed at the Sleep Disorders Center include excessive daytime sleepiness, insomnia, sleep apnea, snoring, narcolepsy, abnormal sleep-wake patterns, nocturnal seizures, and abnormal behaviors during sleep. The large majority of sleep problems can be improved, controlled, or eliminated.

(734) 936-9020

Stress and Anxiety Disorders Program

The Stress and Anxiety Disorders Program is a subspecialty clinic within the U-M Department of Psychiatry. The program is committed to providing state-of-the-art treatment for anxiety disorders and maintaining scientific leadership in the study of these disorders.

(734) 764-5348

Take a Stand: Survivor Website

The University is committed to supporting survivors of sexual assault, sexual harassment, dating/domestic violence and stalking. This website has been designed to provide important and timely information to survivors, friends and family members.

University Center for the Child and Family (UCCF)

The University Center for the Child and the Family (UCCF) is a University of Michigan facility offering a comprehensive range of mental health services for children and families in the community. UCCF offers diagnostic and learning evaluations, therapy, and other mental health services to children and families in the following areas: Learning Disabilities, Social Skills, ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Emotional and Behavioral Concerns, Parenting, Grief and Loss, and Relationship Issues for Couples. UCCF participates with several insurance providers and sliding scale fees are also available.

(734) 764-9466

Work/Life Resource Center (WLRC)

The Work/Life Resource Center (WLRC) provides programs and services designed to support the healthy integration of work life and personal life. The WLRC can assist U-M employees with locating child care, care for aging parents, back-up child care (Kids Kare at Home). WLRC can also provide help with work/life balance issues and the design of flexible work schedules. WLRC offers individual consultation both in-person or over the phone, as well as seminars, workshops, presentations, and discussion groups

(734) 936-8677

Your Child: Development and Behavior Resources

Your Child: Development & Behavior Resources is a web site for parents. It provides details on child development and behavior. The web site guides parents through the sea of data on the Internet and provides a means to link up with support groups, agencies, organizations, and other tools and resources.

(734) 936-9777

Community Resources:

Community Mental Health Services Programs

Mental health services in Michigan are coordinated through local Community Mental Health Services Programs (CMHSPs).This website provides an alphabetical list of local CMHSPs. The list includes contact information for your local program.

Michigan Department of Community Health: Mental Health and Substance Abuse

The Mental Health and Substance Abuse Administration of the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH) provides support and services for adults with serious mental illness, children with serious emotional disturbance, people with developmental disabilities, and people with substance use disorders.

(517) 373-3740

Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS)

Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS) helps Michigan residents with disabilities achieve employment and self-sufficiency. A person with a disability may be eligible for MRS services if the disability causes problems in preparing for, finding, or keeping a job. Any person with a disability who is interested in receiving job rehabilitation services may call the nearest MRS office.

Toll Free (800) 605-6722

TTY (888) 605-6722

SOS Community Services

SOS Community Services responds with care and respect to families in need by working in partnerships that result in economic, family, and residential stability. SOS offers services to families and individuals in Washtenaw County who are homeless or who are experiencing housing-related crises. Our Housing Crisis Services include: housing relocation, eviction prevention, short-term case management, shelter location assistance, utility assistance, distribution of emergency food and personal care items, housing-related transportation assistance, and referrals to other community resources.

(734) 484-4300