The university provides a basic level of life insurance coverage at no cost to faculty and staff, with the option to add more coverage for yourself or your dependents.
- University Plan - $30,000 of coverage for you paid for by the university (automatic enrollment).
- Optional Plan - your choice of coverage in amounts of $5,000, $50,000, or one to six times your annual salary up to $1 million, paid for by you (enrollment required to participate).
- Dependent Plan - coverage for your spouse or other qualified adult or your dependent children, paid for by you (enrollment required to participate).
Retired university faculty and staff who were participating in the University Plan on the date of their retirement are eligible for Retiree Group Term Life Insurance.
All plans are administered by MetLife.
When you elect life insurance coverage for the first time (including automatic enrollment into the University Plan), you must designate a beneficiary with MetLife online or by completing and submitting the beneficiary designation form.
You may choose any beneficiary you wish, such as a family member, a friend, a trust, or an organization. You can name a single beneficiary or you can name two or more joint beneficiaries to receive the insurance payment. You may change your beneficiary at any time. If you do not designate a beneficiary, or if none of the beneficiaries you name survives you, death benefits will be paid to your survivors/estate in the following order: spouse/OQA, children, parents, siblings, estate.
If you enroll in the plan and you change the amount of your coverage at a future date, the beneficiary you designate now will remain your beneficiary until you make a change online or complete and submit a beneficiary designation form.
To Register on the MetLife My Benefits Website
You will only need to follow these steps on your first visit:
- Go to metlife.com/mybenefits.
- Enter University of Michigan and click Submit.
- Carefully read the important information, and then click Continue.
- Click the Register Now button for first time users.
Step 1: Enter your Name, Social Security Number (SSN) or Employee ID (your UMID) and then enter or select your Date of Birth. Enter and confirm your Email Address. (Note: To verify your identity, entering your SSN or Employee ID is required as part of this step of the enrollment process. After regstration, you will not have to enter your SSN or Employee ID to login to the site).
Step 2: You will be prompted to create a User Name and Password. (Please make sure to write down your new User Name and Password and keep in a safe and convenient place.)
Step 3: Select three security questions and provide your answers.
- Click Enter MyBenefits Now to continue.
To Update Your Life Insurance Beneficiaries
After you have registered on the MetLife/MyBenefits website, follow these steps to update your U-M life insurance beneficiary information:
- Go to metlife.com/mybenefits
- Log in using the user name and password you created during registration
- Click Life Insurance – Group Term Life under the Products & Services tab
- Click Add/Update Beneficiaries. Follow the steps to designate a beneficiary for your life insurance.
For problems or questions with registration, please call MetLife Web Technical Support at 877-963-8932 (877-9METWEB).
The following groups are eligible for the University, Optional, and Dependent Plans:
- Faculty and staff who have at least a 50% appointment and have departmental funding for a minimum of four continuous months.
- Staff who are members of MNA, POAM, Trades, HOA, IUOE, and AFSCME.
- Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs) and Graduate Student Staff Assistants (GSSAs) who have at least a 25% appointment and funding for a minimum of four continuous months during fall and winter terms, or for two continuous months during spring or summer terms.
- Graduate Student Research Assistants (GSRAs) who have at least a 25% appointment and funding for a minimum of four continuous months in any term.
- Research Fellows and Postdoctoral Scholars who have University funding and an appointment greater than 0% for a minimum of four continuous months.
Temporary hourly wage staff are not eligible.
- If your salary results in your coverage increasing above $500,000, you are capped at a flat $500,000 until you provide a health statement to MetLife.
- Both the University Plan and the Optional Plan have a "Living Needs Benefits" option—or accelerated payment of death benefits—which is an advance payment of life insurance proceeds when you are terminally ill and have a life expectancy of six months or less.
- These term plans have neither cash value nor provisions for loans. You must be enrolled when you die in order for your beneficiaries to receive benefits.
For Forms and More Information
Refer to the University Group Term Life Insurance Plans book for complete information. Download Group Term Life Insruance forms to enroll or increase your coverage.