March 3, 2020 - Hyatt Legal Plans is now MetLife Legal Plans. Only the name has changed. The phone number, website address and covered legal services remain the same.
New Program Offers Free Document Review and Consultation for the U-M Community
April 9, 2020 - The MetLife Disaster Relief Plan is offering no-cost document review and consultations for members of the university community through July 31, 2020. You do not need to be enrolled in the U-M Legal Services Plan or MetLife Optional Life to access this program. Download a printable flyer about the Disater Relief Plan.
Contact MetLife Legal Plans Network Attorneys
You can contact Network Attorneys to get advice and consultations for many issues, including:
- answering questions or reviewing documents about healthcare proxies or estate planning documents
- reviewing documents for refinancing your home or personal insurance forms
- answering elder law questions for caregivers
If you need assistance, call the MetLife Legal Plans Customer Service Center at (800) 821-6400, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. EST. You will need to identify yourself as a University of Michigan faculty or staff member or retiree, and provide the last four digits of your Social Security Number or your membership number if you are enrolled in the U-M Legal Services Plan, and state that you are interested in the document review and consultation services being offered through the Disaster Relief Plan.
Access the Self-Help Document Library
You also have access to the MetLife Legal Plans self-help document library to complete wills, living wills and power of attorney documents. Visit the MetLife Legal Plans Self-Help Documents library.
You may also navigate to the document library by visiting info.legalplans.com and entering access code 9790010, and then clicking on "Self-Help Documents" in the Covered Services tab.
About the U-M Legal Services Plan
The U-M Legal Services Plan, administered by MetLife Legal Plans, provides you with professional legal assistance on a range of matters for a low monthly fee. The plan provides access to a network of participating attorneys in private practice to help you with personal, confidential legal matters.
Low-Cost Help with a Variety of Legal Matters
For the cost of your monthly premium, you can receive professional legal assistance with matters like these:
- Wills and estate planning, including living wills, powers of attorney, trusts and codicils (updates to wills). Please note that simple will preparation services are also available to U-M faculty and staff members enrolled in the U-M Optional Life Insurance Plan through MetLife.
- Real estate matters, including eviction defense; problems with your landlord; and buying, selling or refinancing your home.
- Family law matters, including name change, uncontested adoption and guardianship. (Note that the plan covers advice about divorce but does not cover representation in a divorce case.)
- Debt defense (problems with creditors).
- Defense of civil lawsuits.
- Document preparation, including deeds, demand letters, promissory notes and mortgages.
- Identity protection and credit monitoring.
This is just a brief summary of legal assistance that is available to plan members. Refer to Covered Legal Services for details.
If you need legal representation on a matter that is not covered by the plan, your participating attorney will give you a written fee agreement in advance. That means you’ll know from the start what those services will cost you.
Please note that simple will preparation services are available to U-M faculty and staff members enrolled in the U-M Optional Life Insurance Plan through MetLife without enrollment in the Legal Services Plan.
You cannot use legal plan services to file a lawsuit against the University of Michigan.
Legal Service Plan Rates
You pay the full cost for enrollment in the Legal Services Plan. There is no university contribution. Faculty and staff pay the premium for the Legal Services Plan through automated after-tax payroll deductions. Retirees can pay by Electronic Funds Transfer or receive a monthly billing statement to pay by check or money order.
The monthly rate is based on the coverage level you select at the time you enroll.
- Coverage for you only is $8.34 per month.
- Coverage for you and one or more dependents is $13.34 per month.
If you are paid monthly, payroll deductions for U-M benefits will be taken from each monthly paycheck.
If you are paid biweekly, payroll deductions will be taken from your first two paychecks each month. If there are three pay dates in a month, no benefits deductions will be taken from the third paycheck.
Look for a Letter from MetLife Legal Plans and an Email from CyberScout
Membership Number Letter
When you enroll in the U-M Legal Services Plan, MetLife Legal Plans will issue a membership number to you. You will need this number to access your legal plan account or your legal benefits. You will also need this number to log into the members.legalplans.com website for plan participants. Within two to three weeks after you enroll, MetLife will mail a letter with your membership number to your home address on file. The letter will be from MetLife Legal Plans. View a sample copy of the membership number letter. After you enroll in the legal plan, watch your mail for the letter from MetLife with your new membership number, and be sure to keep it in a safe place.
Credit monitoring and identity theft services that are included with your enrollment in the U-M Legal Services Plan are provided through CyberScout. When you enroll in the Legal Services Plan, you will receive an email from MetLifet Legal Services / CyberScout with the subject line, "Action Required on your MetLife Legal Plans' FraudScout Activation." You may need to search your email program's Spam or Junk folder to locate this email from the CyberScout Resolution Center Support Team, emailed from customer.support@ e.cyberscout.com. Follow the instructions in the email to activate your enrollment in the FraudScout monitoring program powered by CyberScout. View an example of the email you will receive from CyberScout.
For More Information
- Call MetLife Legal Plans toll free at 1-800-821-6400
- Download the free MetLife Legal Plans app from Google Play or the iTunes® App Store
- Access U-M Legal Services Plan information: Go to the MetLife Legal Plans website
- If you are a member:
- Click "Already Enrolled? Log In"
- On the window that opens, enter the last four digits of your membership number and your home zip code. Your membership number is on the welcome letter you receive from MetLife when you enroll in the plan.
- If you are not a member:
- Under "Thinking About Enrolling?" click the "Learn More" button
- On the next page, under "Not A Member?" enter the access code 2100010 for coverage for you only, or enter 2120010 for coverage for you plus one or more dependents, and then click the button "Learn About Your Legal Plan."