The Legal Services Plan, administered by Hyatt Legal Plans, provides you with professional legal assistance on a range of matters for a low monthly fee. The plan provides access to a network of participating attorneys in private practice to help you with personal, confidential legal matters.
Low-Cost Help with a Variety of Legal Matters
For the cost of your monthly premium, you can receive professional legal assistance with matters like these:
- Wills and estate planning, including living wills, powers of attorney, trusts and codicils (updates to wills). Please note that simple will preparation services are also available to U-M faculty and staff members enrolled in the U-M Optional Life Insurance Plan through MetLife.
- Real estate matters, including eviction defense; problems with your landlord; and buying, selling or refinancing your home.
- Family law matters, including name change, uncontested adoption and guardianship. (Note that the plan covers advice about divorce but does not cover representation in a divorce case.)
- Debt defense (problems with creditors).
- Defense of civil lawsuits.
- Document preparation, including deeds, demand letters, promissory notes and mortgages.
- Identity protection and credit monitoring.
This is just a brief summary of legal assistance that is available to plan members. Refer to Covered Legal Services for details.
If you need legal representation on a matter that is not covered by the plan, your participating attorney will give you a written fee agreement in advance. That means you’ll know from the start what those services will cost you.
You cannot use legal plan services to file a lawsuit against the University of Michigan.
Legal Service Plan Rates
You pay the full cost for enrollment in the Legal Services Plan. There is no university contribution. Faculty and staff pay the premium for the Legal Services Plan through automated after-tax payroll deductions. Retirees can pay by Electronic Funds Transfer or receive a monthly billing statement to pay by check or money order.
The monthly rate is based on the coverage level you select at the time you enroll.
- Coverage for you only is $8.34 per month.
- Coverage for you and one or more dependents is $13.34 per month.
If you are paid monthly, payroll deductions for U-M benefits will be taken from each monthly paycheck.
If you are paid biweekly, payroll deductions will be taken from your first two paychecks each month. If there are three pay dates in a month, no benefits deductions will be taken from the third paycheck.
Look for a Letter from Hyatt and an Email from CyberScout
Membership Number Letter
When you enroll in the U-M Legal Services Plan, Hyatt will issue a membership number to you. You will need this number to access your legal plan account or your legal benefits. You will also need this number to log into the members.legalplans.com website for plan participants. Within two to three weeks after you enroll, Hyatt will mail a letter with your membership number to your home address on file. The letter will be from Hyatt Legal Plans. View a sample copy of the membership number letter from Hyatt. After you enroll in the legal plan, watch your mail for the letter from Hyatt with your new membership number, and be sure to keep it in a safe place.
Credit monitoring and identity theft services that are included with your enrollment in the U-M Legal Services Plan are provided through CyberScout. When you enroll in the Legal Services Plan, you will receive an email from Hyatt Legal Services / CyberScout with the subject line, "Action Required on your Hyatt Legal Plans' FraudScout Activation." You may need to search your email program's Spam or Junk folder to locate this email from the CyberScout Resolution Center Support Team, emailed from customer.support@ e.cyberscout.com. Follow the instructions in the email to activate your enrollment in the FraudScout monitoring program powered by CyberScout. View an example of the email you will receive from CyberScout.
For More Information
- Call Hyatt Legal Plans toll free at 1-800-821-6400
- Download the free Hyatt Legal Plans app from Google Play or the iTunes® App Store
- Access U-M Legal Services Plan information: Go to the Hyatt Legal Plans website
- If you are a member:
- Click "Already Enrolled? Log In"
- On the window that opens, enter the last four digits of your membership number and your home zip code. Your membership number is on the welcome letter you receive from Hyatt when you enroll in the plan.
- If you are not a member:
- Under "Thinking About Enrolling?" click the "Learn More" button
- On the next page, under "Not A Member?" enter the access code 2100010 for coverage for you only, or enter 2120010 for coverage for you plus one or more dependents, and then click the button "Learn About Your Legal Plan."