The U-M Legal Services Plan, administered by MetLife Legal Plans, provides you with professional legal assistance on a range of matters for a low monthly fee. The plan provides access to a network of participating attorneys in private practice to help you with personal, confidential legal matters.
Low-Cost Help with a Variety of Legal Matters
For the cost of your monthly premium, you can receive professional legal assistance with matters like these:
- Wills and estate planning, including living wills, powers of attorney, trusts and codicils (updates to wills). Please note that simple will preparation services are also available to U-M faculty and staff members enrolled in the U-M Optional Life Insurance Plan through MetLife.
- Real estate matters, including eviction defense; problems with your landlord; and buying, selling or refinancing your home.
- Family law matters, including name change, uncontested adoption and guardianship. (Note that the plan covers advice about divorce but does not cover representation in a divorce case.)
- Debt defense (problems with creditors).
- Defense of civil lawsuits.
- Document preparation, including deeds, demand letters, promissory notes and mortgages.
- Identity protection and credit monitoring.
This is just a brief summary of legal assistance that is available to plan members. Refer to Covered Legal Services for details.
If you need legal representation on a matter that is not covered by the plan, your participating attorney will give you a written fee agreement in advance. That means you’ll know from the start what those services will cost you.
Please note that simple will preparation services are available to U-M faculty and staff members enrolled in the U-M Optional Life Insurance Plan through MetLife without enrollment in the Legal Services Plan.
You cannot use legal plan services to file a lawsuit against the University of Michigan.
Legal Service Plan Rates
You pay the full cost for enrollment in the Legal Services Plan. There is no university contribution. Faculty and staff pay the premium for the Legal Services Plan through automated after-tax payroll deductions. Retirees can pay by Electronic Funds Transfer or receive a monthly billing statement to pay by check or money order.
The monthly rate is based on the coverage level you select at the time you enroll.
- Coverage for you only is $8.34 per month.
- Coverage for you and one or more dependents is $13.34 per month.
If you are paid monthly, payroll deductions for U-M benefits will be taken from each monthly paycheck.
If you are paid biweekly, payroll deductions will be taken from your first two paychecks each month. If there are three pay dates in a month, no benefits deductions will be taken from the third paycheck.
Credit monitoring and identity theft services that are included with your enrollment in the U-M Legal Services Plan are provided through IdentityForce.
IdentityForce covers employee, a second adult, and children up to the age of 26.
When you enroll in the Legal Services Plan, you will receive an email from you will receive an email from IdentityForce Fraud Protection with the subject line, "Action Required on your MetLife Legal Plans' IdentityForce." You may need to search your email program's Spam or Junk folder to locate this email. Follow the instructions in the email to activate your enrollment in the IdentityForce monitoring program.
If you have any questions about the registration process or the service, contact IdentityForce directly at (800) 295-0136.
For More Information
You may find a participating attorney in your area either by calling MetLife Legal at (800)821-6400 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST or by going to members.legalplans.com to create a profile. From there, you will have immediate access to complete plan details, attorneys in your area and case numbers.