Sitting or standing in place for hours at a time? Remember to move for approximately three minutes every 30 – 60 minutes.
Why three minutes? Research shows that staying stationary – whether sitting or standing – for long periods of time, can be bad for your health. Our bodies are built to move and doing so for as little as three minutes every hour helps us feel our best. Once you start moving, you’ll notice:
- Increased energy
- A clearer mind
- Improved mood
- Higher metabolism
- Increased blood flow
- Improved posture
So let's get moving!
What can you do in three minutes? A lot!
- Go to the printer/copier/fax more often during the workday
- Do stretching exercises. Try these:
- If you work in a call center or take a phone call while sitting at your desk, take the call standing or follow the call with one of the stretches shown above.
- Go talk with a colleague in person instead of sending email or calling on the phone
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator or take the longer route to the restroom or lunchroom
- Move often during meetings
- When on a break, plan some activity like a walk or stretching
- Walk, jog or move in place
The hardest part might be simply remembering to move every 30 – 60 minutes. Here are some tips to help:
- Set an alarm using your Google or Outlook calendar
- Use the alarm or timer on your watch or mobile device
- Use your clock as a reminder – move every time the minute hand is on the 6 and 12
Take the Pledge to Move
Now that you know the immediate benefits of moving for as little as 3 minutes every hour or so (more energy and focus, improved mood, feeling better, etc.), we encourage you to make a commitment and pledge to Move! Adding a small amount of movement to your daily routine can make a big difference in your everyday, as well as your long-term, health and well-being. Once you’ve taken the pledge, you’ll have the option to download your certificate.
We're here to help! MHealthy Wellness Coordinators are holding surprise "Flash Mobs" in departments around the university – see how easy it is to get moving for three minutes! To schedule one in your area, email email@example.com