Oct. 6, 2021 – Online Ordering Update
As of Friday, Oct. 22, members will no longer be able to order their 90-day prescription drugs on the NoviXus/U-M website. These orders will be taken only on the Birdi website, umich.birdirx.com.
July 1, 2021 – Mail Order Pharmacy Name Change
Please note: As of July 1, 2021, NoviXus Pharmacy Services, U-M’s mail order pharmacy, will be known as Birdi. Services will continue without interruption. No action on your part is needed. Learn more about the name change.
Mail Order Overview
Do you take any long-term medications for conditions like high cholesterol, diabetes or high blood pressure? If so, the university’s mail order pharmacy program for eligible prescriptions can help simplify your busy life. U-M plan members praise Birdi mail order pharmacy for their fast, convenient home delivery, helpful pharmacists and copay savings under the U-M drug plan.
Two Copays for Prescriptions Processed at Mail Order
The charge for each prescription processed at mail order is two copays. Mail order is intended to provide the best value for 90-day supplies of medications you will use on an on-going basis. If your prescription is for short-term use—under a 90-day supply—your best value will generally be a retail pharmacy.
Not sure if Birdi mail order offers savings over your current pharmacy? Use the drug price check tool on the Magellan Rx member website to compare. You will generally get better pricing if you get a 90-day prescription refill rather than one month at a time.
How Does It Work?
Watch a 1:06 minute video to learn how mail order pharmacy service works.
How Do I Get Started?
If you or someone in your family currently takes any long-term maintenance medications, registering for mail order delivery through Birdi is easy and only takes about five minutes.
1. Create Your Account
To get started with Birdi, you'll need to create an account. You will need your prescription drug plan ID number, which should be the letter “U” followed by the subscriber's UMID. You can:
- Visit umich.birdirx.com, or
- Use this form to enroll in mail order pharmacy services: Download the Birdi Medication Order Form, or
- Call Birdi at (877) 269-1160
2. Transfer Current Prescriptions
Contact Birdi to help you transfer any existing prescriptions to mail order.
3. Send Future Prescriptions to Birdi
Tell your health care provider you want to use Bird mail order pharmacy the next time you get a prescription for a long-term medication.
For a new medication, you will need two prescriptions: an initial 30-day prescription to be filled at a retail pharmacy and a 90-day prescription for automatic refills by mail through Birdi.
Your provider can e-prescribe, call 877-269-1159 or fax to Birdi at 877-395-4836.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What medications are eligible for mail order?
- "Maintenance medications" are eligible for mail order. Any medication that is prescribed to be taken for three months or longer may be considered a maintenance medication. Common examples include medication prescribed to control blood pressure or cholesterol.
- Are there any medications that should not be filled by mail order?
- The charge for all prescriptions processed at mail order is two copays. Mail order service is intended for 90-day supplies of maintenance medications that will be used on an on-going basis. Mail order should not be used for:
- Medications needed immediately, such as antibiotics or acute pain medications,
- Controlled substances with legal supply limits,
- Maintenance medications written for under a 90-day supply, or
- Short-term medications that will be used for less than three months
- Can I speak to a Birdi pharmacist if I have questions?
- You can receive a one-on-one consultation with a Birdi pharmacist by calling 877-269-1160. After normal business hours, a pharmacist is always on call—meaning you can reach someone 24/7. You can also send a question to a Pharmacist using the “Ask the Pharmacist” page after logging in on the Birdi website, umich.birdirx.com.
- Where is Birdi located?
- Birdi is located in Novi, Michigan.
- Can I transfer my prescriptions from a local pharmacy to Birdi?
- Yes. Call the Birdi Patient Care Center at 877-269-1160 and a representative will assist you in transferring your prescriptions.
- How does my physician send a prescription to Birdi?
- Your physician can e-prescribe or fax your prescription directly to Birdi. A Birdi patient care specialist will contact you to let you know that a new prescription has been received and ask if you would like it filled.
- Can I fill a new prescription through mail order?
- Tell your physician you wish to fill your prescription through mail order. You may need two prescriptions for the same medication: one for an initial 30-day fill at a retail pharmacy and one 90-day prescription for refills through mail order.
- Can I receive medications that require refrigeration by mail?
- Birdi mail order pharmacy follows strict guidelines when packaging and shipping medications that require special handling. Temperature-sensitive medications are shipped using overnight delivery at no additional cost to the member.
- How are prescription orders shipped?
- Orders are shipped nationwide free of charge, in secure, confidential and tamper-evident packaging via the U.S. Postal Service and courier delivery service. Controlled substances require an adult signature upon delivery. Prescriptions can be shipped Next Business Day for an additional charge. Prescription drugs cannot be mailed to locations outside the United States, with the exception of U.S. territories and military installations. Call Birdi if you have questions about delivery.
- How long does delivery take?
- Allow 7-10 business days for standard delivery, though most deliveries take less time. Next business day shipping is available for an additional charge. On average, an order is received, filled and shipped in less than 24 hours.
- Will I receive a generic or name brand drug?
- Under to the U-M prescription drug plan, all pharmacies will substitute generic equivalents for brand-name medications whenever possible. Generic medications have the same active-ingredient formula as the brand-name equivalent and save you money. Birdi Rx is a licensed pharmacy in Michigan and dispenses the same drugs any licensed retail pharmacy.
- How do I order refills?
- The Birdi app is still under development, with a goal of going live in early 2022. The best way to order refills at this time is to contact Birdi at 877-269-1160, or visit the website, umich.birdirx.com. The NoviXus app is being phased out of the App Store and Google Play and will soon be unavailable. Please plan accordingly.
Disclaimer: Please be advised that the University of Michigan Prescription Drug Plan formulary is updated periodically and changes may appear prior to their effective date to allow for client notification. The University of Michigan does not warrant or assure accuracy of such information nor is it intended to be comprehensive in nature. The medical provider should consult the drug manufacturer's product literature or standard references for more detailed information. Every effort is made to ensure complete and accurate information; however, the most accurate source of medication coverage and member cost is the Magellan Rx pricing tool. The pricing tool will not provide cost estimates for the product selection penalty or medications that require prior authorization.