To participate in Active U, you must be a current University of Michigan faculty or staff member, graduate or undergraduate student, retiree, alumni, or spouse/Other Qualified Adult (OQA) of a faculty or staff member. You may participate on your own, or you may join/form a team.
Logging Activity Minutes
In Active U, you are asked to track your physical activity minutes for 12 weeks, January 8 – April 1, 2019. Activity minutes are logged in the Active U tracker. Minutes can be logged manually by selecting “Workout” under Favorites, or by syncing a tracking device or mobile app. Please note that a week in the tracker runs Tuesday through Monday.
You will have a 14-day grace period to log your activity minutes. The program ends on April 1, but you will have up to April 15 to log back two weeks. Please note that a week in the tracker runs Tuesday through Monday.
Activity that "Counts"
“Moderate or vigorous activity that is performed for a minimum of 10 continuous minutes.”
- Moderate intensity aerobic activity means working hard enough to raise your heart rate while still being able to carry on a conversation. Examples are a brisk walk, cycling at moderate speeds, mopping, or light manual yard work.
- Vigorous intensity aerobic activity causes rapid breathing and a substantial increase in heart rate. Examples include jogging, heavy manual yard work, or aerobic fitness classes like Zumba or spinning.
For a list of recommended types of activities, visit the Sample Exercises page.
Completing Active U
To successfully complete Active U (and be eligible for a T-shirt) you must:
- Answer the Active U pre-survey questions (between Dec. 11, 2018 and January 18, 2019)
- Reach your weekly minutes goal (minimum is 120 minutes). Included in this is logging at least 30 minutes per day, at least 3 days per week.
- Log successfully (see #2) at least 8 out of the 12 Active U weeks.
- Answer the post-program questions (available from March 13- April 15).