To participate in Active U, you must be a current University of Michigan faculty or staff member, graduate or undergraduate student, retiree, or spouse/Other Qualified Adult (OQA) of a faculty or staff member. You may participate on your own, or you may join/form a team.
Logging Activity Minutes
In Active U, you are asked to track your physical activity minutes for 12 weeks, January 9 – April 2, 2018. Activity minutes are logged in the Active U tracker. Minutes can be logged manually by selecting “Exercise Minutes” under Favorites, or by syncing a tracking device or mobile app. Please note that a week in the tracker runs Tuesday through Monday.
Grace Period (Updated for 2018)
You will have a 14-day grace period to log your activity minutes, EXCEPT at the end of the program. The last day to log any minutes is April 2, 2018 – the last day of the program. Please note that a week in the tracker runs Tuesday through Monday.
Activity that "Counts"
"Moderate or vigorous activity that is performed for a minimum of 10 continuous minutes.
- Moderate intensity aerobic activity means working hard enough to raise your heart rate while still being able to carry on a conversation. Examples are a brisk walk, cycling at moderate speeds, mopping, or light manual yard work.
- Vigorous intensity aerobic activity causes rapid breathing and a substantial increase in heart rate. Examples include jogging, heavy manual yard work, or aerobic fitness classes like Zumba or spinning.
For a list of recommended types of activities, visit the Sample Exercises page.
Completing Active U
To successfully complete Active U (and be eligible for a T-shirt) you must:
- Answer the Active U pre-survey questions (available beginning Dec. 19, 2017)
- Reach your weekly minutes goal. Included in this is logging at least 30 minutes per day, at least 3 days per week.
- Log successfully (see #1) at least 8 out of the 12 Active U weeks.
- Answer the post-program questions (available beginning March 14).