Remote Employment

The University of Michigan's workforce includes some employees who work at home or from another off-site location, work out of state or outside of the United States, as well as non-U.S. citizens who work outside of the country.

This page directs managers and staff members who work remotely to forms and information needed to ensure they are up to date in terms of telecommuting agreements, benefits, taxes and more. Remote work guidelines are applicable to all employees who are required, or request, to work at a remote location.

International Employees

Employees must have employment authorization for each proposed work location. Note that for individuals who are not “United States workers,” e.g., H-1B, TN, E-3 or J-1 status-holders, a change or addition of employment location (including permission to work remotely from within the U.S.) may result in the need to update the individual’s immigration record or the filing of an amendment petition with USCIS.  

Before permitting a change or addition in employment locations, the employing unit should consult with the International Center (IC) to determine what steps, if any, are required to ensure ongoing compliance. The IC may be reached at 734-764-9310. Note that the potential costs associated with any required immigration filings are the responsibility of the employer and may not be passed on to the employee.

Any required immigration steps, including the filing of an amendment petition, should be completed before the employee is permitted to work remotely. To allow sufficient time for the various immigration-related processes, the unit should consult with the IC as early as possible in the process.