Welcome to the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) training tutorial. The tutorial is intended as a personal resource for university employees, and a job aid for employees whose job responsibilities include managing employee absences. The goal of the tutorial is to:
- Help you understand the FMLA;
- Outline the rights and responsibilities of the university and employees under the FMLA;
- Raise your comfort level when managing FMLA absences;
- Help ensure that units are meeting the notice requirement under the FMLA; and
- Serve as a quick and easy job aid and reference.
After completing this tutorial, you should be able to:
- Identify FMLA qualified employees;
- Recognize FMLA qualifying absences;
- Provide timely notice to employees;
- Track FMLA usage for individual employees;
- Meet the return to work obligations under the FMLA; and
- Identify university resources for assistance in managing employee absences.
The benefits of completing this tutorial are:
- An understanding of the FMLA;
- Knowledge of the university’s rights and responsibilities under the FMLA;
- Knowledge of employee rights and responsibilities under the FMLA;
- An understanding of your role in ensuring compliance under the FMLA; and
- Knowledge of university resources available to assist you.
View the U.S. Department of Labor Employee Rights Under the Family and Medical Leave Act poster.