At the University of Michigan, our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is central to our mission as an educational institution. Organizational Learning is coordinating with partners across the Ann Arbor campus and Michigan Medicine to provide training and skill development opportunities to help create a community where people’s differences contribute to further learning and advancements in all fields of study and patient care. U-M offers a growing curriculum of courses to assist schools, colleges and units create more inclusive and welcoming environments.
Organizational Learning supports professional and career development, leadership development and culture change initiatives (diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) and sexual misconduct).
Michigan Medicine employees can find additional training and resources available from the Office for Health Equity and Inclusion.
Training and Educational Resources
The following resources are currently available to faculty and staff:
- Culture Change Foundations: Improving Workplace Climate: This foundational course will guide learners through the first step in embarking on a culture change journey.
- Educational classes: A variety of courses on diversity, equity and inclusion are available to faculty and staff for all schools, colleges and units free of charge.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI): The Basics: This 15 minute online module provides an introductory look at the U-M DEI initiative and helps clearly define what we mean by “diversity, equity and inclusion." Discussion guides are available for participants, as well as for facilitators working with in small groups or huddles.
- Unconscious Bias Learning Suite: This online self-paced module provides a review of bias, explores what bias can look like and examines how it shows up in the workplace.
- Unconscious Bias in Recruiting and Hiring: An online self-paced module that provides a deeper look into how unconscious bias impacts decision making during the hiring process while looking at interventions to minimize the impact of bias in our hiring and selection processes.
View training and other resources for students
View training and other resources for Michigan Medicine employees
- You can learn from faculty, staff and students from across U-M through a series of videos addressing topics ranging from faculty leadership, student recruitment, community health and campus culture.
The online module titled, "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI): The Basics" provides an introductory look at our initiative and helps clearly define what we mean by “diversity, equity and inclusion.” For group conversations or meetings, discussion guides for facilitators and participants are available for use.
This course is available as a module through MyLINC and takes less than 15 minutes to complete. It can be viewed individually or in small groups or huddles with time for discussion.
DEI Activity Guide for Meetings and Retreats
A toolkit for departments and teams to use at meetings and retreats includes short (less than 30 minutes) and long (more than 30 minutes) activities, tips and other recommendations for facilitating meaningful discussions and engagement. View the toolkit and appendix.
Programs at U-M
There are countless opportunities to learn from and about diversity, equity and inclusion, to connect with the communities beyond campus and to secure personal resources and assistance. View a comprehensive list of diversity, equity and inclusion programs.
COVID-19 Learning Collection
Resources, links, and tools to support responding to the impact of COVID-19 on DEI efforts. These resources were gathered for your reference and ease of finding relevant material and may not completely reflect the views of Organizational Learning or the University of Michigan. We will continue to add content to this collection, so check back for updates! View the Collection
How We Support the U-M Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Initiative
Education and skill development is an important part of achieving the university's commitment to enhancing our diversity, equity and inclusion. Learn more about how these resources are connected to the university's initiative. About Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Training
Contact us for your departmental training or consultation needs
Departments can submit a request for training to be held at their work location. Professional facilitators will be also available for a fee to help units implement their strategic plans or hold department-level conversations around diversity, equity and inclusion. These requests can be made using this form. Unit Request Form