Child Care: Additional Child Care Resources

The Work/Life Resource Center does not endorse or represent any resources listed as recommended by the University.

In-your-home child care -- listings or services for finding caregivers/nannies/au pairs/babysitters (fees may apply):

Summer camps/summer child care resources:

Child/teen transportation service (Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area):


Information regarding child care for campus events/special guests: if your department/organization is hosting an event or a guest, and you wish to assist with child care, please consider the following:

  • If the parents WILL be in the same building as the children, at all times:
    It may be possible for you to set up a child care room within the building. Your department would be responsible for obtaining building-administrator approval to use the room for child care, as well as for set-up and staffing. and Sittercity (see links above) may be resources for finding caregivers to staff your room. Note: unless all parents will be in the same building as their children at all times, and immediately accessible to their children, it is illegal to set up even a temporary child care setting without having the facility licensed for child care by the State of Michigan.
  • If the parents will NOT be in the same building as the children, at all times:
    The parents of the children who need care may search the state databases of all licensed child care centers and homes (see link above), and/or search for a U-M Family Helper (see link above, but note that Family Helpers is only available to current U-M affiliates, and not to outside families). Also, the and Sittercity caregiver listings (see links above) are available to anyone; a department might consider offering to fully/partially reimburse for one month of listing-access for a special guest who will need a caregiver during their campus event. Note: parents should conduct their own child care searches, and make their own child care decisions and caregiver selections; departments should avoid doing so, due to liability. If the parents need assistance, they are welcome to contact or 734-763-9379.  


Web sites

Students with Children

National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)

This organization is dedicated to improving the well-being of all young children, with particular focus on the quality of educational and developmental services for children from birth to age eight. NAEYC offers national accreditation of center-based child care programs.

National Association for Family Child Care (NAFCC)

This organization offers information about home-based child care as well as professional development, including national accreditation, for home child care providers.

The U-M Work Life Resource Center offers child care resource information only. Information is subject to change. Neither the U-M nor its subcontractors warrant any information concerning any child care provider, nor do they inspect, investigate, endorse, recommend, or choose any particular provider. The inclusion of any care provider’s name does not constitute endorsement or certification by the U-M, WLRC or its subcontractors as to their qualifications to provide child care, the rates charged for services or any other aspect of individual program’s quality of care. Any complaints and problems should be directed to the caregiver and/or the State of Michigan Department of Human Services, Office of Child and Adult Licensing.

Disclaimers & Eligibility:

The Work/Life Resource Center does not interpret policy, facilitate leaves of absence, or negotiate flexible scheduling with supervisors.

The Work/Life Resource Center does not endorse or represent any resources listed within this website as recommended by the University.

Full-time and part-time U-M faculty, staff and students are eligible to receive consultation and referral services at no charge.