Due to concerns related to COVID-19, the Kids Kare service provider is unable to care for sick children at this time.
Kids Kare at Home
If your regular child caregiver is unavailable, and you must work or study for U-M, Kids Kare at Home may be able to help.
- Backup, in-your-home child care for U-M families
- For children ages 13 and under (or older children with special needs up to the age of 25 who cannot be left alone)
- Partially-subsidized hourly rate (based on household income) for families who qualify -- please note that subsidy is limited to 48 subsidized hours of care per calendar year, per U-M household
- Care is provided by Kennedy Care/Safe at Home, a contracted supplier of services
- Caregivers are Red Cross trained, and have had state and FBI criminal background checks
- Register now for Kids Kare for service in the 2021 calendar year
Learn more about Kids Kare at Home:
- Can I use Kids Kare?
- Requesting a Caregiver
- Hourly Rates, Billing and Cancellation Policy
- Parental Rights and Responsibilities
- Childcare Checklist (PDF)
- Special Instructions for Today Form (PDF)
*Prior to registering, please note: the unsubsidized rate for Kids Kare in 2020 is $23.00 and in 2021 it is $24.00 (for one to two children, minimum four hours daily; three or more children are billed at 1 1/2 times this hourly rate). However, you may qualify for a U-M subsidized rate. Be sure to enter your total gross household income on the online registration form to determine if you qualify for a subsidy. If we do not have your household income amount, you will be billed for the full, unsubsidized cost of care.
Disclaimer: The U-M Kids Kare at Home program is offered as an option for parents and guardians. The use of the program should be carefully considered by parents and guardians, taking into account individual situations and preferences. The caregivers for this program are screened through a caregiver agency, Kennedy Care/Safe at Home. The U-M Work-Life Resource Center does not endorse or recommend any individual caregiver.