Partnerships with Academic Institutions
This sourcing option is an opportunity to meet with and discuss career opportunities with students. Local options include the U-M Alumni Association and Career Center as well as Washtenaw Community College, Eastern Michigan University and Concordia University.
Hiring managers may also consider attending student-run group meetings and/or scheduling on-campus speaking engagements as supplemental ways to build partnerships and candidate pipelines.
Resources focused on recruiting events such as career fairs, virtual career fairs and networking events should align with your unit’s recruiting and DEI plans and support proactive pipeline development. Additionally, importance should be placed on representation at recruiting events to welcome and engage diverse applicants. Consistency and follow-up show that U-M is an inclusive environment for a diverse community. Professional associations aligned with the role(s) you are looking for likely have recruiting event and other networking opportunities. Examples include:
Other Resources and Organizations for Potential Partnership Development
- Development of relationships with local community-based organizations. Check out the Ginsberg Center for more information.
- Sponsorship of professional diversity and affinity group meetings and conferences external and internal to U-M.
- Automation Alley: Automation Alley is a technology business association dedicated to growing the economy of Southeast Michigan.
- CareerOneStop: Resources for hiring a diverse workforce from the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Detroit Chamber of Commerce: A platform for problem-solving and uniting individuals to share ideas to impact Michigan’s turnaround. U-M has a bronze-level membership with this organization.
- Equal Opportunity Publications, Inc.: Career-guidance and recruitment for women, minority groups, and people with disabilities.
- Focus: HOPE: Free job training for low-income residents in Detroit, Hamtramck and Highland Park.
- Michigan Career Educator & Employer Alliance: Advancing internship, cooperative education, and employment in Michigan through collaborative relationships among employers, colleges and universities
- Michigan Health Council: Facilitating the education, recruitment, and retention of a diverse healthcare workforce.
Contact Staff HR for consultation and on-request outreach to selected internal and external groups and networks.