Applies to: Research Fellows and Senior Research Fellows
Issued by (dept.): Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and University Human Resources
SPG number: 201.19
Schools, colleges, and departments/academic programs seeking information or assistance in administering this policy may contact the Office of Academic Human Resources at 734-763-9838.
Also see the Postdoctoral Scholars section of the Rackham Graduate School's website.
Procedure A: Appointing a Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Mentor or designee: Seek approval from the department chair, where applicable, and dean or director for the proposed fellowship. Request should identify funding for salary or stipend and benefit, where applicable; space and equipment needs; and the nature of the training program.
- Department chair and dean or director (or designee): Inform mentor of decision in response to request for approval of proposed appointment.
- Mentor or Designee: Seek and select the fellow.
- Mentor or Designee: If the individual selected is already considered an active University employee in the University human resources system, complete and submit the online submittal form available on HRRIS's website. For an individual who has not previously held an active U-M appointment, print and submit the entire hiring packet to HRRIS, which consists of the Appointment Request Form, the Supplemental Form, the Faculty Personnel Record, and an I-9 form (all available on the HRRIS website). Note: An appointment form must be processed even if the fellow is supported directly by an external funding agency, which consists of all the parts of the hiring packet except for the I-9. If the benefits will be charged to a unit other than the unit submitting the appointment, identify a separate account for benefit costs to the appropriate fund area within Financial Operations.
- Human Resources Records and Information Services (HRRIS): Review appointment for conformance with policy and if appropriate, process.
- Benefits Office: Invite fellow to apply for optional benefits and process selected optional and required benefit enrollments.
- Payroll: Make stipend and/or salary payments on the appropriate schedule of payment.
Procedure B: Terminating a Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Note: As stated in SPG 201.19, If circumstances arise that require the hiring unit to terminate a research fellow appointment before the specified appointment end date, before notifying the Fellow the hiring unit should first consult with the appropriate dean or director and the Office of Academic Human Resources.
- Mentor or designee: Send termination request through normal departmental and unit channels to Human Resources Records and Information Services (HRRIS).
- Human Resources Records and Information Services: Send Office of Vice President for Research form (OVPR Form) to department for mentor or department chair to certify successful completion of training.
- Mentor/department chair: Complete OVPR form and forward it to the Office of the Vice President for Research.
- Office of Vice President for Research: Issue appropriate recognition to the Fellow signifying completion of fellowship. Send original request form and copy of certificate to HRRIS (generally sent periodically in batch form).
- Human Resources Records and Information Services: Periodically send a spreadsheet of fellows who have completed their training to the Alumni Records Office.
- Alumni Records Office: Add Fellow to Alumni records.