Can I Use Kids Kare?

The Kids Kare at Home service provider has specific requirements before they will consider care requests for mildly-ill children.

Service Eligibility

If your regular caregiver is unavailable, and you have U-M work obligations, Kids Kare at Home may be able to help. Please read the following guidelines to see if you are eligible to request Kids Kare service in your home:

  • Regular faculty or staff members currently affiliated with U-M Ann Arbor, Michigan Medicine, U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint are eligible to register in 2024. Please note that service in the Flint area will be a pilot program at this time, in order to assess the need for additional caregivers in that region.
  • Full or half-time enrolled U-M students (graduate or undergraduate) at the Ann Arbor campus only are eligible.
  • If they qualify (based on household income) for partially-subsidized care, faculty or staff must have at least a half-time appointment and be benefits-eligible. 
  • Service is more likely to be available in the following Michigan counties:
    • Washtenaw, Wayne, Monroe, Jackson, Ingham, Livingston, Oakland, Macomb
  • Service will be considered in these Michigan counties, but the availability of caregivers is more limited:
    • Lenawee, Shiawassee, Genesee, Lapeer, Kalamazoo
  • Children must be age 13 years and under (or young people with special needs who are not able to be alone, up to age 25).
  • Grandparents are eligible as long as the child resides in their home, and they have legal guardianship, or the child qualifies as their principally supported child.
  • If both parents are affiliated with U-M and living in the same household, only one can register and request service.
  • If both parents are affiliated with U-M and living in separate households (e.g., in the case of divorce), each can register.