Please be thoughtful of the health impact your interactions have in hiring or being a Family Helper regarding the coronavirus pandemic. For general guidance, please see the 2019 Novel Coronavirus COVID-19.
The Family Helpers Posting Board connects current U-M students, recent U-M graduates, and benefits-eligible U-M retirees who offer occasional, partial week, or short-term support to current U-M faculty, staff, and students only, and for their household family members only, in their Ann Arbor-area homes. Services offered may include babysitting or child care, tutoring (virtually or in-person), adult or elder care, pet care, house sitting, yard work, or housekeeping. Also, Michigan Medicine COVID-19 Support for families is a category during this time.
With the Family Helpers Posting Board, current U-M students, recent U-M graduates, and benefits-eligible U-M retirees who want to offer help can:
Register as a Family Helper and post a Profile, or edit your existing Profile (approval may take 2-3 days, so your viewing access will be delayed)
Approved Family Helpers can:
View and respond to Help Wanted Posts (approval may take 2-3 days, so your viewing access will be delayed)
Currently-affiliated U-M faculty, staff, and students who need assistance can:
Create a Help Wanted Post or edit your existing Help Wanted Post space (approval of may take 2-3 days, so your viewing access will be delayed)
- Services are provided in the Ann Arbor-area family homes of current U-M faculty, staff, and students only, and for their household family members only. Due to state child care rules, Help Wanted Posts seeking group or pod care for more than one family cannot be approved.
- Most Family Helpers are full-time students with important school-related obligations. Therefore, if you need more than partial week or occasional help (especially during the academic year), or if you are not receiving replies, you may want to also use Care.com, Additional Child Care Options, Child Care Resources, or Elder Care Resources. In addition, you could indicate in your post that you'll consider two or more helpers for flexible job-sharing.
- Many of our Family Helpers do not have cars, so are unable to provide transportation, and may need to use the bus system or request a ride.
- Please read your email daily, as email is the only way to communicate initially. We delete any personal contact information from Profiles or Help Wanted Posts, but you will be able to share as you wish after initial emails.
- Faculty and staff members are not eligible to register as Family Helpers.
Please email the Work-Life Resource Center with any questions.
The “Family Helpers Posting Board” acts only as a “posting board” and does not conduct background checks on individuals using the Family Helpers Posting Board. The responsibility for background checks rests solely and completely with all posting board users. The Family Helpers Posting Board is not a U-M program or service, and U-M is not responsible for any postings to the website. The fact that U-M allows for this posting board does not create an employment relationship, nor does U-M act as a guarantor of users or services provided. All users are encouraged to review and comply with applicable State of Michigan Child Care Licensing Rules, and any other applicable law and regulations. The U-M Work-Life Resource Center does not endorse or represent any resources listed as recommended by U-M.