Please be thoughtful of the health impact your interactions have in hiring or being a Family Helper regarding the coronavirus pandemic. For general guidance, please see the 2019 Novel Coronavirus COVID-19.
The Family Helpers Posting Board connects current U-M students, recent U-M graduates, and benefits-eligible U-M retirees who offer occasional, partial week, or short-term support with current U-M faculty, staff, and students only, and for their household family members only, in their Ann Arbor-area homes. Services offered may include babysitting or child care, tutoring or school support (virtually or in-person), adult or elder care, pet care, house sitting, yard work, or housekeeping. Also, Michigan Medicine COVID-19 Support for families is a category during this time.
With the Family Helpers Posting Board, current U-M students, recent U-M graduates, and benefits-eligible U-M retirees who want to offer help can:
- Register as a Family Helper and post a Profile, or edit your existing Profile (approval of your Profile or Profile-edits may take 2-3 days, so your viewing access will be delayed)
Approved Family Helpers can:
- View and respond to Help Wanted Posts (approval of any Profile or Profile-edits may take 2-3 days, so your viewing access will be delayed)
Currently-affiliated U-M faculty, staff, and students who need assistance can:
- View Family Helper Profiles and inquire with Family Helpers individually
- Create a Help Wanted Post or edit your existing Help Wanted Post space (approval of your Post or Post-edits may take 2-3 days, so your viewing access will be delayed)
- Family Helpers services are provided in the Ann Arbor-area family homes of current U-M faculty, staff, and students only, and for their household family members only. Help Wanted Posts seeking a group or pod caregiver for more than one family at a time cannot be approved, as it is a violation of Child Care Licensing Rules to provide ongoing and paid care for unrelated children in a home without it being state-licensed for child care.
- Most Family Helpers are full-time students with important school-related obligations. Therefore, if you need more than partial week or occasional help (especially during the academic year), you are welcome to submit a Help Wanted Post but you may want to also use Additional Child Care Options, Child Care Resources, or Elder Care Resources. To increase the likelihood that you'll receive replies from potential Family Helpers, you could also indicate in your post that you'll consider two or more helpers for flexible job-sharing.
- Many of our student Family Helpers do not have cars, so are unable to provide transportation, and may need to use the bus system or request a ride to get to and from your home.
- If you are using the Family Helpers posting board, please read your email daily, as email is the only way to communicate initially. We will delete any personal contact info from Profiles or Help Wanted Posts, but you will be able to share contact info as you wish after initial emails.
- In a typical school year, many elementary schools offer before and after school child care -- inquire at your child's school, and enroll early.
- Faculty and staff members are not eligible to register as Family Helpers.
Please email the Work-Life Resource Center with any questions.
The “Family Helpers Posting Board” acts only as a “posting board” and does not conduct background checks on individuals using the Family Helpers Posting Board. The responsibility for background checks rests solely and completely with all posting board users. The Family Helpers Posting Board is not a U-M program or service, and U-M is not responsible for any postings to the website. The fact that U-M allows for this posting board does not create an employment relationship, nor does U-M act as a guarantor of users or services provided. All users are encouraged to review and comply with applicable State of Michigan Child Care Licensing Rules, and any other applicable law and regulations. The U-M Work-Life Resource Center does not endorse or represent any resources listed as recommended by U-M.