Receiving Dental Care Outside the U.S.

When you enroll in the U-M dental plan, you can receive dental care outside of the United States with Delta's Passport Dental program through the AXA Assistance worldwide network of dentists and dental clinics.

Finding a Dentist While Traveling

When outside of the United States, call AXA Assistance collect at (312) 356-5971 to receive a referral through an English-speaking operator. The operators are available 24/7. You must identify yourself as a Delta Dental enrollee when you call. When inside the United States, call AXA Assistance at (888) 558-2705.

Covered Services

Your dental plan coverage outside the U.S. is the same as your coverage within the U.S. Please note that AXA Assistance dentists are considered nonparticipating dentists. 

Filing Claims

When you receive dental care outside the U.S., you pay the dentist and file a claim for reimbursement with Delta Dental when you return from your trip. Be sure to get an itemized receipt for all dental services you receive. The receipt should include the dentist's name and address, the services performed, and an indication of which tooth or teeth received treatment. It should also note if the dentist's charges were billed in U.S. dollars or the local currency. Complete and submit the Delta Dental Claim form. Make a copy of your receipt and completed claim form, and send the originals to Delta Dental as instructed on the form. Delta Dental will reimburse you subject to the terms and conditions of your existing Delta Dental coverage. The reimbursement may not cover your entire cost.