Child Care: Financial Assistance for Child Care

U-M Child Care Subsidy Program for Students

The U-M Child Care Subsidy Program, administered through the Office of Financial Aid, provides funds to undergraduate and graduate students to assist them in meeting the cost of licensed child care provided at a child care center, family or group child care home. Students may apply even if they are not currently using a licensed child care provider, but must enroll with a licensed program to receive the grant. (For assistance in locating a licensed child care center or home, U-M families can search the online child care provider databases by clicking here. U-M families who need additional assistance with navigating the databases may contact or (734) 936-8677.)  

The subsidy provides up to $4,672 per academic year for one child, up to $6,852 for two children and up to $9,020 for three or more children. (Spring/Summer half-term awards are also available.) 

To qualify, a student must demonstrate financial need and utilize child care because he/she is a single parent, or if married, has a spouse/partner who is also a student and/or gainfully employed. International students may be eligible. For all eligibility criteria, and to apply, please visit or call (734) 763-6600

Loans to cover child care expenses for students — U-M Financial Aid Office

Students with unmet financial need may apply for loans to cover the full cost of their childcare expenses through the financial aid office.  For more information, see the Office of Financial Aid website or call (734) 763-6600.

U-M Child Care Tuition Grant for Faculty, Staff and Students

The Child Care Tuition Grant (CCTG) is a University of Michigan program designed to assist families with young children meet the cost of licensed child care at our central and north campus centers: U-M Towsley Children’s House, U-M North Campus Children's Center, and the U-M Health System Children's Center. The program is funded by the Provost’s Office. It is available to income-eligible U-M faculty, staff and students who have children who are already enrolled at the participating centers. 

Eligibility for the Child Care Tuition Grant is determined by Housing and Urban Development (HUD) guidelines for Washtenaw County based on family size and median income and awards vary according to these criteria. Interested families may download an application below or pick up an application from the participating child care center where their child is enrolled.

For additional information, please choose an option below or contact Judy Collins at or (734) 647-7144.  

ALL U-M STUDENTS: Applying for the CHILD CARE SUBSIDY (through the U-M Office of Financial Aid) is required prior to applying for the Child Care Tuition Grant. If awarded the Child Care Subsidy, the amount of the CCTG may be reduced.

U-M Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts

A Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) allows you to set aside pre-tax money from your paychecks to pay for child care expenses for your eligible dependents incurred so you can work, or if you are married, so you and your spouse can work, or your spouse can attend school full-time.

Eligible dependents are your children under age 13 and any other person who is a qualified IRS dependent, regardless of age, who is mentally or physically incapable of caring for himself or herself.

Federal tax laws place limitations on the amount you can contribute to a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account each plan year. You may choose an annual contribution of any whole dollar amount up to the maximum family amount for which you qualify. You maximum contribution depends upon your annual earnings in the prior calendar year, your tax filing status, your spouse's annual earnings, and several other factors. The minimum annual contribution is $120.

To receive a reimbursement from your Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, you must have accumulated sufficient contributions to cover your claim at the time your request is made. You may file a claim for reimbursement after your dependent receives the eligible services. You may claim up to the amount you have already contributed to the account at the time your claim is made. You have the option of submitting a claim online or completing a paper claim form and mailing or faxing it along with your itemized documentation. For further information, see Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts on the Benefits Office website, or contact the HR/Payroll Service Center at (734) 615-2000 or 1-866-647-7657 (toll free).

If you/your partner are employed outside of U-M, inquire with that employer’s benefits office.

Department of Human Services (DHS) Child Development and Care Program

The Child Development and Care Program is a State of Michigan program for income-eligible families who need assistance with child care costs. Parents may qualify if they need child care for employment, high school completion, or family preservation (treatment activity for a health or social condition). University students who are employed at least 20 hours per week may also be eligible. For income guidelines and eligibility, please click here

To download an application, visit .

Child Care Network: Family Support Program

Child Care Network/Great Start to Quality Southeast Regional Center (community-based, not a U-M program) has some funding to assist income eligible staff and undergraduate families with a portion of their tuition costs in a licensed child care setting (parents in degree programs beyond undergraduate, including fellowships, are not eligible for CCN scholarship assistance). Low-income working families have priority. For consideration, please visit CCN’s website: and click on the ‘Family Scholarships’ tab for more information and the application.

Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)

The Earned Income Tax Credit is available to employees with children who meet income guidelines. Depending on income and number of children, employees may receive a credit (or refund, if they pay no taxes). Employees can collect a portion of their EIC payment in their paycheck. Although this money need not be used for child care, it can help with the cost of care. If you wish to receive an advance in your paycheck, you must submit a Form W-5 to Payroll (734) 615-2000 (central campus) or (734) 764-3125 (Health System). For complete information, consult your tax advisor and please visit:,,id=96406,00.html

Child and Dependent Care Credit

The credit is a percentage of the amount of work-related child and dependent care expenses you paid to a care provider if you meet specific conditions. For more information, consult your tax advisor and please visit:,,id=106189,00.html

Other Financial Assistance for Families

Women, Infants and Children (WIC)

Women, Infants and Children (WIC) is a health and nutrition program that helps pregnant women, new mothers, and young children eat well and stay healthy. WIC also provides nutrition education and counseling and help accessing health care. WIC also provides breast pumps to qualified nursing mothers.  For additional information: or call 734-544-6800.

Washtenaw County Health Insurance Plans

Several plans are available to uninsured, income eligible children, individuals and families. For more information:


MIChild provides health insurance to low-income children of working families without health insurance. To be eligible, you must not qualify for Healthy Kids/Medicaid. MIChild provides comprehensive medical and dental coverage.  You must be a Michigan resident to qualify. For additional information:,1607,7-132-2943_4845_4931---,00.html.

Washtenaw County Prescription Plan

The Washtenaw County Prescriptions Plan is a prescription drug discount program for Washtenaw County residents without or with limited prescription drug coverage. There are no income or age restrictions. For more information: