Remote Employment Policies and Agreements

Updated October 12, 2023

  • Please Note: Processes related to hybrid and remote work arrangements will be updated by the end of the 2024 calendar year. Learn more about these improvements on the Ways We Work Implementation Group page.

Workplace flexibility and remote work allow the University of Michigan the unique opportunity to meet business needs while increasing the ability to attract and retain and attract top talent. 

This section directs employees who have received approval to work off-site from their department, unit HR, and central offices as appropriate, and their supervisors to required work agreement terms and information needed to ensure they are up to date on off-site work guidelines. The information contained on these pages applies to all regular and temporary employees who are required, or request, to work at an off-site location.

International Employees

Employees must have employment authorization for each proposed work location. Note that for individuals who are not “United States workers,” e.g., H-1B, TN, E-3 or J-1 status-holders, a change or addition of employment location (including permission to work remotely from within the U.S.) may result in the need to update the individual’s immigration record or the filing of an amendment petition with USCIS.  

Before permitting a change or addition in employment locations, the employing unit should consult with the International Center (IC) to determine what steps, if any, are required to ensure ongoing compliance. The IC may be reached at 734-764-9310. Note that the potential costs associated with any required immigration filings are the responsibility of the employer and may not be passed on to the employee.

Any required immigration steps, including the filing of an amendment petition, should be completed before the employee is permitted to work remotely. To allow sufficient time for the various immigration-related processes, the unit should consult with the IC as early as possible in the process.


For general inquiries about remote and hybrid work, send an email to [email protected].