Financial Assistance for Child Care

For U-M Students

U-M Child Care Subsidy — U-M Office of Financial Aid

The U-M Child Care Subsidy, administered by the U-M Office of Financial Aid, provides funds to undergraduate and graduate students to assist them with the cost of state-licensed child care. Students may apply even if they are not currently using licensed child care, but must enroll and use licensed child care (centers or home-based programs) in order to receive the grant. Search here for licensed child care programs.  

2019-20 maximum awards:

  • For one child, award maximum is $2,940 per term ($1,472 per half-term for 2020 Spring or Summer)
  • For two children, award maximum is $4,310 per term ($2,155 per half-term for 2020 Spring or Summer)
  • For three or more children, award maximum is $5,682 per term ($2,841 per half-term for 2020 Spring or Summer)

To qualify, a student must demonstrate financial need and utilize child care because he/she is a single parent, or if married, has a spouse/partner who is also a student and/or gainfully employed. International students may be eligible.

Get more information and apply here or call (734) 763-6600.

For U-M Faculty, Staff, and Students

U-M Child Care Tuition Grant for the U-M Ann Arbor Children's Centers

The Child Care Tuition Grant is offered to U-M affiliated families who are enrolled at one of the U-M Ann Arbor Children's Centers (the Health System Children's Center on Glazier Way, North Campus Children's Center in the NCRC, and Towsley Children's House only). The purpose of the grant is to make the U-M Ann Arbor Children's Centers more affordable to U-M families.

Eligibility for the Child Care Tuition Grant is determined by family size and income. Please consult the Grant Income Limits and apply for the grant if you believe you may be eligible. Annual income is determined using income earned over the previous six months before enrollment and multiplying by two. If your circumstances include a change in income moving forward, apply using the previous six months' income. There will be an opportunity on the application to show a change in future income, by using the transition income form that is included in the application.

If you are a U-M student, you must first apply for the Child Care Subsidy through the U-M Office of Financial Aid. You can also apply for the Child Care Tuition Grant. If you are eligible for the Child Care Tuition Grant, your award will be adjusted if you receive the Child Care Subsidy. However, we are happy to accept your application in order to check your eligibility. See Grant Information and FAQ for more information, and please email or call (734) 936-8485 when you know the result of your Child Care Subsidy application.

If you have any questions about the Child Care Tuition Grant application, please feel free to email or call (734) 936-8485. 

Grant Application Link

Grant Information and FAQ

Grant Income Limits

For U-M Faculty and Staff

U-M Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts

A Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) allows you to set aside pre-tax money from your paychecks to pay for child care expenses for your eligible dependents incurred so you can work, or if you are married, so you and your spouse can work, or your spouse can attend school full-time.

For eligibility guideline, limitations and more information, see Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts.

If you/your partner are employed outside of U-M, inquire with that employer’s benefits office.

Governmental and Community Information

Department of Human Services (DHS) Child Development and Care Program

The Child Development and Care Program is a State of Michigan program for income-eligible families who need assistance with child care costs. Review guidelines and eligibility and download an application.

Family Support Program Scholarships at Child Care Network

Child Care Network-Great Start to Quality Southeast Regional Center (a private non-profit agency, not a U-M program) has child care scholarships for families, including income-eligible U-M staff and undergraduate-student families, for a portion of tuition costs in a licensed, quality-rated center or home child care setting. Parents in degree programs beyond undergraduate, including fellowships, are not eligible for this scholarship assistance. Low-income working families have priority.

Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)

The Earned Income Tax Credit is available to employees with children who meet income guidelines. Depending on income and number of children, employees may receive a credit (or refund, if they pay no taxes). Employees can collect a portion of their EIC payment in their paycheck. Although this money need not be used for child care, it can help with the cost of care. For more information, consult a tax advisor.

Child and Dependent Care Credit

The credit is a percentage of the amount of work-related child and dependent care expenses you paid to a care provider if you meet specific conditions. For more information, consult a tax advisor. 

Other Financial Assistance for Families

Women, Infants and Children (WIC)

Women, Infants and Children (WIC) is a health and nutrition program that helps pregnant women, new mothers, and young children eat well and stay healthy. WIC also provides nutrition education and counseling and help accessing health care. WIC also provides breast pumps to qualified nursing mothers. For additional information call (734) 544-6800.

Washtenaw County Health Insurance Plans

Washtenaw County has several health insurance plans available to uninsured, income eligible children, individuals and families.


MIChild provides health insurance to low-income children of working families without health insurance. To be eligible, you must not qualify for Healthy Kids/Medicaid. MIChild provides comprehensive medical and dental coverage. You must be a Michigan resident to qualify.