Additional Child Care Options and Resources

These additional resources are available to families seeking child care. 

In-your-home child care resources for current U-M affiliates 

Other in-your-home child care resources

In-your-home or virtual tutoring (first, inquire with your own school district about programs and support for your child)

School-age child care

  • Some elementary schools offer on-site, before or after school child care for their students -- inquire with your child's school or district as soon as possible
  • Search the State of Michigan Great Start database for licensed child care programs that may offer school-age care
  • A few licensed child care programs in Ann Arbor that transport and provide before or after school child care for some schools
    • Gretchen's House (may have space for children from Eberwhite, Logan, Thurston, Ann Arbor STEAM/Northside, and possibly other schools)
    • Annie's (may have space for children from Lakewood, Haisley, and all Dexter schools)
    • Kindercare (may have space for children from Allen and Pittsfield schools)

Community early childhood education options 

Summer camps and summer child care 

  • Search the U-M Center for Educational Outreach Youth Hub summer programs for preschool children up to youth in the upper grades.
  • Explore the State of Michigan Camp Search database for child camps throughout Michigan, including day and residential camps.
  • Learn about summer camps offered by Ann Arbor Parks and Recreation and Ann Arbor Rec and Ed
  • See the Ann Arbor Observer Summer Camps and Activities guide (which includes the programs listed in their spring issues), and their Activities for Kids listing (which includes some camp programs).
  • Search the State of Michigan Great Start database for licensed child care centers and homes that may offer summer care and activities for school-age children.
  • See the listings of summer programs in Ann Arbor as well as metro Detroit.

Other resources


The U-M Work-Life Resource Center does not endorse or represent any resources listed as recommended by the University of Michigan. All users are encouraged to review and comply with applicable State of Michigan Child Care Licensing Rules and any other applicable law and regulations. We offer child care resource information only. Information is subject to change. Neither the U-M nor its subcontractors warrant any information concerning any child care provider, nor do they inspect, investigate, endorse, recommend, or choose any particular provider. The inclusion of any care provider’s name does not constitute endorsement or certification by the U-M, WLRC or its subcontractors as to their qualifications to provide child care, the rates charged for services or any other aspect of individual program’s quality of care. Any complaints and problems should be directed to the caregiver or, if applicable, the State of Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Child Care Licensing.