Please be thoughtful of the health impact your interactions have in hiring or being a Family Helper regarding the coronavirus pandemic. For general guidance, please see the 2019 Novel Coronavirus COVID-19.
Family Helpers are current U-M students, recent U-M graduates, or benefits-eligible U-M retirees who offer short-term, partial week, or occasional services in the Ann Arbor-area family homes of current U-M faculty, staff, and students. Services offered may include babysitting or child care, elder care, pet care, tutoring or lessons, house sitting, yard work, or housekeeping. Also, Michigan Medicine COVID-19 Support for families has been added as a services category during this time.
With Family Helpers, current U-M students, recent U-M graduates, and benefits-eligible U-M retirees can:
- Register as a Family Helper and post a Profile, or edit your existing Profile (approval of your Profile or Profile-edits may take 2-3 days, so your viewing access will be delayed)
Currently-affiliated U-M faculty, staff, and students can:
- View Family Helper Profiles and inquire with Family Helpers individually
- Create a Help Wanted Post or edit your existing Help Wanted Post space (approval of your Post or Post-edits may take 2-3 days, so your viewing access will be delayed)
Approved Family Helpers can:
- View and respond to Help Wanted Posts (approval of any Profile or Profile-edits may take 2-3 days, so your viewing access will be delayed)
- If you are using the Family Helpers posting board, please read your email daily, as email is the only way to communicate initially. Note that we will delete any personal contact info from Family Helper Profiles or Help Wanted Posts, but you will be able to share contact info as you wish after initial emails.
- Services are provided in the family homes of current U-M faculty, staff, and students only, and for their household family members only.
- Because Family Helpers have other important obligations, if you need care or assistance three or more days per week during the academic year (e.g. Monday to Friday before-after school care), please search Additional Child Care Resources, Find Child Care, or Elder Care Resources, or indicate in your Help Wanted Post that you will consider two or more Family Helpers to job-share. If you live outside the Ann Arbor area, please search these resources as well. Posts that are outside of these limits may not be approved.
- Most elementary schools offer before and after school child care for their students -- inquire at your child's school, and enroll early, as programs often need to start wait lists. For Ann Arbor Public Schools, visit this site or call (734) 994-2300.
- Many of our student Family Helpers do not have cars, so are unable to provide transportation, and may need to use the bus system to get to your home.
- Faculty and staff members are not eligible to register as Family Helpers.
Please email Work-Life Resource Center with any questions.
The University of Michigan (U-M) “Family Helpers” acts only as a “posting board” and does not conduct background checks on Family Helpers, including University employees providing Covid-19 pandemic assistance to families, or those individuals seeking the assistance of Family Helpers. The responsibility for background checks rests solely and completely with all posting board users. The Family Helpers posting board is not a U-M program or service, and U-M is not responsible for any postings to the website. The fact that U-M allows for this posting board does not create an employment relationship, nor does U-M act as a guarantor of users or services provided.