457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan

The 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan allows you to save for retirement like the 403(b) SRA but has fewer options to take a cash withdrawal while you are still employed with U-M. You contribute a fixed dollar amount with each paycheck; there is no university contribution. You may enroll, increase, decrease, or cancel your contribution throughout the year.

You may enroll in the 457(b) plan without being enrolled in the Basic Retirement Plan or the 403(b) SRA. You also do not have to wait to enroll in the 457(b) until after you contribute the maximum to the 403(b) SRA.  

The 457(b) is a good option if you do not need to take a cash withdrawal from the plan before you retire, terminate employment, or reach age 59½. It can be a good option if you contribute the maximum to the 403(b) SRA or have another retirement plan but still want to save more.

Type of Plan

U-M offers a governmental 457(b) deferred compensation plan. A state or political subdivision of a state, including a public university, may offer a governmental 457(b) plan. This is different from a nongovernmental 457(b) plan, which a 501(c) tax-exempt organization (such as a private hospital or private non-profit entity) may sponsor. 

The two types of 457(b) plans are not compatible with each other and you cannot transfer or rollover assets between the two. You have two options for the type of contributions you make to the plan, which determine whether you pay income tax on contributions to the plan or on distributions from the plan at a later date:

No Income Limits on Roth 457(b)

Faculty and staff at any income level may contribute to the Roth 457(b). The IRS income limit that applies to a Roth IRA offered through a bank or other financial institution ($161,000 for single filers and $230,000 for married couples filing jointly for 2024) does not apply to the Roth 457(b). In addition, your entire 457(b) contribution can be made as after-tax Roth, allowing you to contribute much more than the 2024 Roth IRA limit of only $7,000 ($8,000 if you are 50 or older). The Roth 457(b) may be of particular interest to individuals whose income is above the limit to qualify for a Roth IRA and to those who want to save more after-tax than the Roth IRA permits. Learn more about Roth options.  


The following groups are eligible to enroll in the 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan:

  • All regular, active faculty or staff members (including Supplemental Instructional staff), House Officers, Research Fellows, Professional Specialists, GSIs, GSSAs, and GSRAs with a 1% or greater appointment of at least four months duration paid by the university
  • Rehired retirees with funding and effort (including emeritus titles)

Eligible Compensation

You must receive earned compensation reportable on a W-2 and subject to federal, state, and FICA tax to be eligible to contribute to the 457(b).

Examples of compensation that may be contributed:

  • Base salary and wages
  • Incentive payments (Risk Pay) under the University of Michigan Medical Group (UMMG)
  • Summer salary for university-year appointees
  • Overtime
  • Shift and administrative differentials
  • Temporary hourly earnings

Examples of ineligible compensation:

  • Fellowship, scholarship, and stipends
  • After-tax payments
  • Long-term disability plan benefit payments
  • Worker’s Compensation

Your Contribution Limit

View how much you may contribute to the 457(b) by logging into Wolverine Access Employee Self Service. Click the Benefits tile, and then click the Calculate Ret. Contribution tile to view your 457(b) contribution limit for the current year and the following year. The panel also has a tab you may select to view your contribution limit for the 403(b) SRA

The Internal Revenue Code limits the total amount you may contribute to all 457(b) plans you have across all employers. The 457(b) contribution limit applies to both tax-deferred and after-tax Roth amounts you make (i.e., there isn’t a separate limit for each type of contribution) and does not apply to Roth IRA contributions

Learn more about how much you may contribute.

How to Enroll or Make Changes Throughout the Year

Review enrollment deadlines and view step-by-step 457(b) enrollment instructions.

Contributions are taken from each bi-weekly and monthly paycheck. However, contributions are not taken from off-cycle paychecks.

Investment Options

You may invest your funds with two investment companies — TIAA and Fidelity Investments. Contributions may be allocated to either or both, and contributions may be distributed among the approved investment funds offered.

If you choose to make after-tax Roth contributions, TIAA and Fidelity Investments will track your after-tax contributions and associated earnings separately within your existing U-M account(s). You will not have separate accounts for your Roth contributions.

Transfers for Purchase of Service Credit

If you participate in a defined benefit governmental plan (as defined in Internal Revenue Code Section 414(d)), you may request a direct transfer from this plan to the defined benefit governmental plan if the transferred assets are used for the following purposes:

  • The purchase of service credit (as defined in Code Section 415(n)(3)(A)) under the defined benefit governmental plan; or
  • The repayment of contributions and earnings related to a previous forfeiture of service credit under the defined benefit governmental plan.

TIAA and Fidelity Investments Websites for U-M Faculty and Staff

Visit these sites at any time to open your account, select your investment funds, and name your beneficiary.


Fidelity Investments