How to Enroll in the 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan

Effective March 1, 2023, you may use Benefits Self-Service once per pay period instead of once per month to enroll in the 457(b), change an existing payroll contribution amount, or waive enrollment. View online enrollment and change deadlines by pay period.

To enroll, follow these steps:

  1. Go to Wolverine Access
  2. Enter 'Benefits' in the search bar
  3. Select the Benefits Self-Service tile
  4. Enter your uniqname and UMICH (Level-1) password; Two-factor (Duo) for Weblogin is required
  5. Select the Initiate Ret Savings Elections tile
  6. Review the information on the Ret. Savings Plan Elections page then click the Continue button
  7. Select the 457(b) and/or Roth 457(b) card
  8. Enter your per paycheck contribution amount and how much of this amount you wish to allocate to TIAA and/or Fidelity
  9. Click the Done button in the upper right hand corner to save your selection
  10. Click the Finalize Elections button
  11. Click the Submit and View Stmt button 

You can select your investment funds and designate your beneficiaries by visiting the TIAA and or Fidelity Investments websites for the U-M plans.


You need to designate your investment fund choices and beneficiaries separately for each type of plan in which you enroll. Fund choices and beneficiary designations you have already made for one plan, such as the Basic Retirement Savings Plan, do not automatically carry over to the 457(b) or the 403(b) SRA (and vice versa). You need to designate your beneficiary separately each time you enroll in a new type of plan.