Changing Your Benefits

Open Enrollment for 2019 Benefits

Open Enrollment for making changes to your benefits for 2019 begins on October 22, 2018 and ends at 5:00 p.m. on November 2, 2018. Changes you make during Open Enrollment go into effect on January 1, 2019. Learn more about Open Enrollment.

New employees who have a job on record with the university as of October 12, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. will be eligible to participate in Open Enrollment. Faculty and staff with jobs on record after the cutoff will not participate in Open Enrollment, rather the benefits elections they make as new employees will remain in effect for the remainder of 2018 and through December 31, 2019, as long as they remain eligible. Separate enrollments are required to participate in a Flexible Spending Account for 2018 and 2019.

Effective Date of Coverage Changes

When you enroll in benefits, your elections typically remain in effect until the end of the calendar year. Certain life events may impact your benefits or allow you to make changes mid-year.    

You can make changes during the annual Open Enrollment period, usually in October, with changes effective January 1 of the following year. Open Enrollment for 2019 benefits is October 22 to November 2, 2018. 

If you submit a change to add a dependent or enroll in coverage within 30 days of a qualifying event, changes are effective as of the event date.

If you submit a change to remove an ineligible dependent or cancel coverage, changes are effective the first of the following month.

If you do not request a change in coverage within 30 days of a qualifying event, you must wait until the next Open Enrollment period to make changes, which will be effective the following January 1.

Any changes in your deduction amounts due to a change in benefits after a qualified family status change will be reflected in your paycheck. If changes to your benefits occur during the month, cost adjustments are made the following month.

Your Spouse's or Other Qualified Adult's Open Enrollment

Faculty and staff who have the opportunity to enroll on their spouse’s or OQA’s group health plan may remove their dependent(s) or cancel their U-M health plan coverage at any time during the year. Canceling the U-M health plan also cancels prescription drug coverage. In order to drop dependents or cancel your U-M coverage, faculty and staff must notify SSC Benefits Transactions within 30 days after the new coverage takes effect by completing and submitting a Benefits Enrollment/Change Form.

Special Enrollment Under HIPAA

Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), a special enrollment period for health coverage may be available if you lose coverage under certain conditions or when you acquire new dependents by marriage, birth, or adoption.

If you decline enrollment for yourself or your dependents (including your spouse) because of other health coverage, you may be able to enroll yourself or your dependents in U-M health coverage in the future. To request enrollment, complete the Group Health Insurance Application for Special Enrollment form and the Benefits/Enrollment Change Form and send the forms to SSC Benefits Transactions within 30 days after your other coverage ends. In addition, if you have a new dependent as a result of marriage, birth, adoption, or placement for adoption, you may be able to enroll yourself and your dependents, provided that you request enrollment within 30 days after the marriage, birth, adoption, or placement for adoption.

Questions About Mid-Year Changes?

Call the SSC Contact Center at 5-2000 from the Ann Arbor campus, (734) 615-2000 locally, or (866) 647-7657 toll free, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.