Successful retirement requires planning. To help you create a complete retirement plan, this section explains how to determine when you are eligible for retirement, what happens to your benefits in retirement, and your income options in retirement.
To learn more about preparing for retirement:
- Attend a planning for retirement class presented by the Benefits Office.
- Attend a Social Security and Medicare presentation by a Social Security Administration claims specialist.
- Schedule a free one-on-one session with TIAA (800) 732-8353 or Fidelity Investments (800) 642-7131. A retirement planning specialist can help estimate how much income you will need in retirement, discuss retirement income plans, identify ways to save more and invest more efficiently, and assist with tax considerations.
- Join a live webinar presented by TIAA and U-M's Center for the Education of Women (CEW) on the importance of generating a paycheck for life. Presented live online: Thursday, March 16, 2017 from 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Register today to participate.
- Register for live webinars at TIAA Virtual Environment. Topics include basic estate planning, foundations of investing, managing income and debt, and dismantling myths about annuities, or visit tiaa.org/umich to register for financial education seminars in your area.
- Attend a workshop presented by Fidelity Investments: Fundamentals of Retirement Income Planning and Make the Most of Social Security. The workshops are free but registration is required. Click to register at fidelity.com/reserve or call 800-642-7131. All sessions will be held 5:30 - 6:30 p.m. at the Fidelity Ann Arbor Investor Center, 500 E Eisenhower Pkwy #100, Ann Arbor, MI 48108.
- Review Milestones on Your Road to Retirement
General Personal Counseling
As you face your retirement from the University of Michigan, you may wish to explore personal or career concerns you have related to this significant life transition. The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FASAP) is a resource that assists faculty and staff with a range of life issues. Licensed counselors are available to meet with you, listen to your experience and consider options or resources. The service is confidential and at no charge to you. For further information or to arrange an appointment contact FASAP at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 936-8660.