Retiree Privileges

Retiree ID Card

Your U-M Retiree ID card will enable you to take advantage of many of the privileges you had as a staff member, such as athletic ticket discounts and library privileges.

Retirees can make a request for a new MCard using this e-form

U-M retirees may be eligible for Mcard deals and discounts from participating businesses. Search under “Other” in the Target Audience to find discounts that apply to retirees. In limited cases, retirees may also be eligible for faculty and staff discounts listed under “Faculty & Staff.” Because all offers are subject to change without notice, the best practice is to contact a business directly to determine whether they currently offer any discounts for U-M retirees.


All faculty and staff who retire from the University of Michigan Ann Arbor Campus are eligible for the Retiree After Hours permit. This free option is honored after 3 p.m. weekdays and all day on weekends for events such as concerts and theatre performances, but is not valid for athletic events parking. This permit is available in a hang tag version only. See Logistics, Transportation & Parking for more information.


Logistics, Transportation & Parking (LTP) 
Parking Customer Service
523 S. Division Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-2414

Phone: (734) 764-8291
Fax: (734) 763-4041

U-M Retirees Association

The University of Michigan Retirees Association (UMRA) is open to all retirees, their spouses, and spouses of deceased retirees. This short video describes how you can get connected and stay connected to the university community with UMRA.

There is an annual membership fee per household. To join, download and print the Membership Form from the UMRA website, complete the form and mail it to the U-M Retirees Association at the address below. Or you may request a membership application from the UMRA staff office by calling (734) 763-2387.

University of Michigan Retirees Association
Suite 2005 Wolverine Tower
3003 S. State St. Ann Arbor, MI  48109

Temporary Employment

Retirees can work a variety of temporary positions ranging from secretarial, clerical, data entry, to skilled labor. If you are interested in temporary employment, please apply directly via the careers website

Please note that as of January 1, 2016, if you return to university employment after retirement, you may become eligible for health coverage under the Employer Shared Responsibility (ESR) provision of the Affordable Care Act. Learn more about ESR or browse frequently asked questions.

Athletic Tickets

Retirees can purchase athletic tickets to events by contacting the U-M Athletics Ticket Office:

1000 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109


Recreation Sports Facilities

Retirees may continue to use university recreational facilities by purchasing a membership. For more information on membership, contact the Recreational Sports Business Office:

Central Campus Recreation Building (CCRB)
401 Washtenaw Avenue

North Campus Recreation Building (NCRB)
2375 Hubbard Street

Intramural Sports Building (IMSB)
606 E. Hoover Avenue



Library Privileges

Retirees can have borrowing privileges at the U-M libraries. To register, take your U-M Retiree ID card to:

Circulation Services
104 Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library
920 N. University
Ann Arbor, MI 48109


Computing Services

All Retirees

Faculty and staff who have a Google U-M email account when they retire will have continued use of their U-M email box by visiting, and use the same uniqname, password, and directory entries used as an employee at no charge.  Those with an Outlook U-M email account, including Michigan Medicine faculty and staff, must contact the ITS Service Center before retiring from the university to have a U-M Google email account created. Contact the ITS Service Center by calling (734) 764-4357. A commercial Internet service is required to access email. Purchase through the Computer Showcase and access to virtual machines are not available except to Emeritus or Emerita Faculty.

Emeritus or Emerita Faculty

For additional information, visit Frequently Asked Questions About ITS Services for U-M Retirees

Contact the ITS Service Center for current services and cost information. Call (734) 764-HELP (764-4357) 


The University Record is mailed to U-M retirees and may also be viewed online. Visit Wolverine Access if you need to change your home mailing address.

Volunteer and Enrichment Opportunities

Browse volunteer and enrichment opportunities to find more ways to stay connected to U-M in retirement.

Important Note

The Benefits Office does not administer any of these programs or services. Please use the contact information provided within each section for additional information.

For additional information about your U-M benefits in retirement, download the book Your Retirement Benefits. All benefits are subject to change.