Would you like to communicate with a specific group of Faculty, Staff or Students? To send a targeted e-mail or request a file of mailing addresses, use the new, all-in-one form to Request Targeted Communication or Population Data Files.
Guidelines Concerning the Use of the Targeted Data Service
- The data must be used only for official University business.
- Data files are approved for one-time use only and are not to be stored or reused.
- Use and handling of the data must comply with the University's Proper Use Policy and standards imposed by UHR or the RO. Also refer to the Standard Practice Guide, 601.12 Institutional Data Resource Management Policy.
- If data will be used for research purposes, Institutional Review Board approval documentation is required.
- Guidelines for e-mail messages:
- Messages can be sent to U-M groups, departments, units, and campuses.
- Information in the e-mail message must be time-critical.
- Message text must be clear, brief, and to the point.
- Message text should be no longer than two screens. To convey more information, consider referring recipients to another source, such as a Web page, for the details.
- Message text should include contact information (e-mail or phone) where further inquiries can be directed.
- Messages should be generally relevant and meaningful to the work or work-life of the target population.
- Attachments can not be sent with a targeted email but web links referenced within the email text are acceptable.
If your goal is to publicize an event or service, advertising in the University Record may be the most effective and appropriate way to reach faculty and staff. The Record is published weekly in print and daily electronically (during each major academic term) and sent to all active faculty and staff. Visit the University Record’s advertising page for more information.