To use the Legal Services Plan after you have enrolled, call the Hyatt Legal Services Client Service Center directly at (800) 821-6400, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Time. The client representative who answers your call will:
- verify your eligibility for services (have your Hyatt Legal Plans membership number on hand);
- make an initial determination of whether and to what extent your case is covered (the plan attorney will make the final determination of coverage);
- give you an authorization number which is similar to a claim number (you will need a new authorization number for each new case you have);
- give you the telephone number of the participating attorney near you; and
- answer any questions you have about the Legal Services Plan.
You then call the participating attorney to schedule an appointment at the time convenient for you.
You may also find a participating attorney in your area through Hyatt's website:
- Go to: legalplans.com
- Click "Already Enrolled? Log In"
- On the window that opens, enter the last four digits of your membership number and your home zip code. Your membership number is on the welcome letter you receive from Hyatt when you enroll in the plan.
- Click the "Attorney Locator" button
If you are not a member:
- Go to: legalplans.com
- Under "Thinking About Enrolling?" click the "Learn More" button
- On the next page, under "Not A Member?" enter the access code 2100010 for coverage for you only, or enter 2120010 for coverage for you plus one or more dependents, and then click the button "Learn About Your Legal Plan."
- Click the "Attorney Locator" button, or click "Who will help me?" under Find an Attorney
If you choose, you may use a non-participating attorney by advising the Hyatt Legal Services client service representative during your call for authorization. In a few areas where there are no participating law firms, you will be asked to select your own attorney. In both of these circumstances, Hyatt Legal Services will reimburse you for these non-participating attorney's fees in accordance with a set fee schedule.
You may need legal help with a problem involving your spouse, other qualified adult or your children. In some cases, both you and your dependent may need an attorney. If it would be improper for one attorney to represent both you and your dependent, only you will be entitled to representation by the plan attorney. Your dependent will not be covered under the plan.
If you or your dependents are involved in a dispute with another eligible plan member or that member's dependents, Hyatt Legal Services will arrange for legal representation with independent and separate counsel for both parties.
Plan Confidentiality, Ethics, and Independent Judgment
Your use of the plan and the legal services is confidential. The plan attorney will maintain strict confidentiality of the traditional lawyer-client relationship. The university will know nothing about your legal problems or the services you use under the plan. Plan administrators will have access only to limited statistical information needed for orderly administration of the Legal Services Plan. No one will interfere with your plan attorney's independent exercise of professional judgment when representing you.
All attorneys' services provided under the plan are subject to ethical rules established by the courts for lawyers. The attorney will adhere to the rules of the plan and will not receive any further instructions, direction or interference from anyone else connected with the plan.
The attorney's obligations are exclusively to you and the attorney's relationship is exclusively with you. Hyatt Legal Services, Inc., or the law firm providing services under the plan is responsible for all services provided by their attorneys. You should understand that the plan has no liability for the conduct of any plan attorney.
Plan attorneys will refuse to provide services if the matter is clearly without merit, frivolous or for the purpose of harassing another person. If you are denied coverage, you may appeal. See Denial of Coverage and Appeal Procedures for more information. You cannot use plan services to file a lawsuit against the University of Michigan.
If you are awarded attorney's fees as part of a court settlement, the Legal Services Plan must be repaid from this award to the extent that it paid the fee for your attorney.
If you have a complaint about the legal services you have received or the conduct of an attorney, call Hyatt Legal Services at (800) 821-6400. Your complaint will be reviewed and you will receive a response within two business days of your call.
Denial of Coverage Appeal Procedure
If you are denied coverage by Hyatt Legal Services or by any plan attorney, you may appeal by sending a letter to:
Hyatt Legal Services, Inc.
Director of Administration
1111 Superior Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44114-2507
The Director will issue Hyatt Legal Services' final determination within 30 days of receiving your letter.