Temporary Child Care

Event or Visitor Child Care

Rather than setting up child care rooms for campus events, U-M departments and programs are encouraged to support parents in securing their own child care off-campus. University rooms and spaces might not provide needed safety and required equipment; State of Michigan child care licensing rules are in place; and staffing requires background checks, training and supervision.

Instead, U-M departments and programs might consider:

  • Offering financial support for your guests to bring their own family member or friend to provide child care in their hotel room
  • Providing guests with multiple resources such as online caregiver listings at Care.com and Sittercity.com, and agencies such as Kennedy Care Backup Child Care and Jovie, if they would like to try to hire someone to provide child care in their hotel room. Also, parents may be able to find short-term care, particularly for weekday hours, in a licensed child care center or home. Only the parent should search for and secure this child care, not the U-M host department or program.
  • Reimbursing guests for a portion of their child care expenses related to your campus event
  • Allowing parents to have their child with them on campus, with the understanding that the parent will be with, and provide all care for, their own child at all times

Drop-in or Short-term Child Care

Any proposed drop-in or short-term, reservation-based child care programs must be developed according to the State of Michigan child care licensing guidelines, and the U-M Children on Campus policies.

The U-M Children's Centers, which are already state licensed, may be able to offer child care space during limited weekend hours for those who wish to organize short-term, reservation-based child care for our students and employees. This would need to be done in collaboration with the Work-Life director and the center director. The sponsoring organization would be responsible for supporting related operations including program design, staff hiring, training, scheduling, enrollment of families, handling payment, and following all child care licensing and U-M requirements.  

For More Information

The Work-Life Resource Center provides links to community child care resources. We cannot provide guidance on setting up child care spaces in campus buildings. Please go to the State child care licensing rules and this guide to child care licensing, and to the U-M Children on Campus program to learn more.

Email worklife@umich.edu if you need additional information.

The Work-Life Resource Center does not endorse or represent any resources listed as recommended by the University of Michigan.