Can I Use Kids Kare?

Service Eligibility

If your child is mildly ill or if your regular caregiver is unavailable, and you must be at work or on campus, Kids Kare at Home may be able to help. Please read the following guidelines to see if you are eligible to use Kids Kare.

  • Children must be ages 13 and under (children with special needs who are not able to be alone, ages 25 and under).
  • Regular faculty or staff members currently affiliated with the U-M Ann Arbor, UMHS, U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint are eligible to register.
  • If they qualify (based on household income) for partially-subsidized care, faculty or staff must have at least a half-time appointment and be benefits-eligible. 
  • Grandparents are eligible as long as the child resides in their home, and they have legal guardianship, or the child qualifies as their principally supported child.
  • Full or half-time U-M students (graduate or undergraduate, Ann Arbor campus ONLY) are eligible.
  • If both parents are affiliated with U-M and living in the same household, only one may be registered.
  • If both parents are affiliated with U-M and living in separate households (e.g., in the case of divorce/separation), each may register.

Service is more likely to be available in following Michigan counties:

  • Washtenaw
  • Livingston
  • Oakland
  • Wayne
  • Monroe

The following Michigan counties may be considered, but the availability of caregivers is much more limited:

  • Jackson
  • Lenawee
  • Lapeer
  • Genesee