Birth or Adoption

The addition of a new child to your household is a qualified family status change that allows you to make changes to and enroll in benefits mid-year. The benefits affected by the birth or adoption of a child are listed below.

Important Deadline

You have 30 days from the birth of the child to add your new dependent to your benefits coverage. For adoptive children, you have 30 days from the date the child is placed in your home in anticipation of formal adoption proceedings or as of the date of adoption, whichever date is earlier.

If you do not enroll your new dependent within the 30-day deadline, you must wait until the next available Open Enrollment period to make changes to your benefits enrollments and the change will be effective January 1.

Enrolling Your New Dependent

To enroll, go to Employee Self-Service > Benefits on Wolverine Access. Select Initiate Life Events and follow the instructions. Click the enroll box on the Enroll Your Dependents section on the plan page for this dependent to add them to your benefit plan.

You may add your new dependent to the following benefit plans:

Medical Plans

You will be allowed to add your new dependent to each medical plan in which you are enrolled (health plan, dental, vision).  Enrollment is not automatic; you must make changes in Wolverine Access within 30 days.  

Dependent Life Insurance

If not previously enrolled, the birth or adoption of a baby allows you to newly enroll in Dependent Child Life Insurance. Once enrolled, all eligible children in the household are covered from age 15 days up to the end of the month they turn age 25.

Flexible Spending Accounts

The birth or adoption of a child will allow you to enroll in or make adjustments to your Flexible Spending Accounts. To request a change to your FSA, complete and submit the Health Care FSA Request for Change in Status form and/or the Dependent Care FSA Request for Change in Status form within 30 days of the birth of your child.

Other Resources

The Work/Life Resource Center assists families at the university in locating suitable child care. For more information, contact the WLRC at (734) 936-8677, or by email at


If you have any questions about adding your child to your benefits, call the SSC Contact Center at 5-2000 from the Ann Arbor campus, (734) 615-2000 locally, or (866) 647-7657 toll free, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.