Missed Contribution Due to Military Leave

After you return from a military service leave, you are allowed to make extra voluntary contributions to the retirement plans to make up for those you missed during the leave. This option is provided under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) for plans you were participating in prior to your leave.  It is completely voluntary to make up missed contributions and you may choose to make up the total amount, a portion of it, or none at all.

Missed contributions are calculated at the rate of contribution in effect immediately before your leave.  You have up to three times the length of the leave to make the extra contributions, capped at five years, under a special exemption that allows you to exceed the IRS limit that normally caps 403(b) and 457(b) contributions.  

To make up the missed contributions:

  1. Upon your return from your military leave of absence, call the SSC Contact Center.  Call 5-2000 from the Ann Arbor Campus, (734) 615-2000 from the local Ann Arbor area, or (866) 647-7657 for toll-free long distance. The SSC Contact Center is open Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  

  2. Your contribution and leave data will be examined to determine how much you are eligible to make up.

  3. A Retirement Specialist will work with you to discuss the total amount to be made up, the length of time you want to make it up, and the amount of the extra contributions to be taken in each paycheck.