International Travel

This resource provides information for University of Michigan faculty and staff who are planning international travel for university-related business or for personal or leisure purposes. Faculty or staff members who are traveling abroad within the context of their job responsibilities are considered to be on University of Michigan related travel.

U-M International Travel Policy

The university's International Travel Policy applies to all faculty, staff, and students on all campuses. It specifies the requirements for university-related international travel, which include travel registration, travel abroad health insurance from the university’s authorized vendor, and procedures for travel to university travel warning or travel restriction destinations. Schools, colleges, and business units may have additional policies and procedures that support this overall policy.

Planning Your Trip

  1. Register International Travel with the University Travel Registry

    All faculty, staff, and students planning international travel for university-related purposes must register in the University Travel Registry before the expected departure date. The Travel Registry is a confidential and secure site within Wolverine Access for you to record travel plans and contact information. The Travel Registry supports emergency communications and provides direct access to university-approved travel abroad health insurance. The Registry can be used for domestic travel and the university recommends registering personal or leisure travel when planning a trip abroad.

  2. Visit Global Michigan

    This site provides university travel warning and travel restriction information, links for travel preparation, and health and safety information. All U-M community members should review the International Travel Policy and associated procedures for travel abroad for university-related purposes.

  3. Review Your Health Insurance Coverage

    No matter where you are planning to travel, you will need to know your insurance coverage before you leave. See below for information on health insurance while traveling abroad.

  4. Consider a Pre-Travel Health Consultation

    At least two months before international travel, you may wish to make an appointment with your physician or with a travel clinic to obtain prescriptions or immunizations as needed for your destination. University of Michigan Overseas Travel Clinic is available by appointment to Michigan Medicine employees who are traveling for Michigan Medicine business related purposes only (not for leisure travel). Non-employees including dependents should contact their health plan to find an in-network provider for travel immunizations and consultation.

Travel Insurance Summary
Type of Coverage Before You Depart Contact Name Contact Information
GeoBlue Travel Abroad Health Insurance for
University-Related Travel (required),
provided for current faculty and staff
Register with U-M Travel Registry
Automatically applied with travel registration
UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office (734) 764-5182 or (866) 368-0002 toll free, or email [email protected]
Travel Abroad Health Insurance for Personal
or Leisure Travel (optional)
Register with U-M Travel Registry and purchase UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office (734) 764-5182 or (866) 368-0002 toll free, or email [email protected]
MetLife U-M Business Travel Accident Insurance N/A (automatic) U-M Shared Services Center (734) 615-2000 or (866) 647-7657 toll free
GeoBlue Political and Natural Disaster
Evacuation Insurance
Register with U-M Travel Registry
Automatically applied with travel registration
U-M International Travel Oversight Committee (ITOC) [email protected]

Travel Abroad Health Insurance

U-M Related Travel

Faculty and staff traveling on international university-related business are automatically covered at no cost by the travel abroad health insurance, but must register in the U-M Travel Registry. The plan, GeoBlue travel health insurance, is provided by GeoBlue in coordination with the University Health Service Managed Care/Student Insurance OfficeNote: Students in education abroad program leadership roles (paid or unpaid) and graduate students on GSRA, GSI and GSSA appointments must enroll in the GeoBlue for Students on Educational Activities plan. Details are on the University Health Service website.

GeoBlue automatically covers your spouse or OQA and dependents under age 26 traveling with you for business travel and for short term personal travel prior to and/or after your university-related trip. This plan covers business travel up to 364 days. If you need longer coverage, contact the Managed Care/Student Insurance Office.

GeoBlue travel insurance is primary to any coverage for medical care abroad that you may have through your U-M health plan or other health insurance coverage.

Register to use the GeoBlue website:

Upon completion of registering your travel in the U-M Travel Registry, the My Summary page will be displayed. Follow the instructions under “UM Travel Abroad Insurance Enrollment” on the My Summary page to gain access to the GeoBlue Traveler registration site.

For additional information:

Personal/Leisure Travel

Current faculty and staff traveling internationally for personal or leisure purposes may purchase U-M Travel Abroad Health Insurance through GeoBlue, coordinated by the University Health Service Managed Care/Student Insurance Office, by registering in the U-M Travel Registry. Upon completion of registering your travel, the My Summary page will be displayed. Follow the instructions under “UM Travel Abroad Insurance Enrollment” on the My Summary page to sign in to GeoBlue Insurance and purchase coverage. Coverage may also be purchased for spouses or OQAs and dependents under age 26 traveling with the covered U-M faculty of staff member. The plan covers individuals up to age 80. This insurance must be purchased prior to departure.

For additional information:

Political and Natural Disaster Evacuation Insurance

Political and natural disaster evacuation insurance is available in most but not all countries for U-M faculty, staff, students, and their eligible accompanying dependents. To receive this support, travelers must be eligible for U-M Travel Abroad Health Insurance, must register their travel, and meet other special conditions. Evacuation assistance must be coordinated through the University of Michigan Office of the Provost and GeoBlue.

In the event of an emergency that may require assistance, please contact the U-M Division of Public Safety and Security

(734) 763-1131, U-M Ann Arbor
(313) 593-5333, U-M Dearborn
(810) 762-0006, U-M Flint

Let the DPSS emergency responder know that you are a U-M traveler abroad. DPSS will transfer you to a U-M emergency responder. The Global Michigan site provides further details about contacting U-M in the event of an international emergency.

U-M Health Plan Information

U-M Premier Care Members

U-M Premier Care, a HMO health plan, only covers urgent and emergency care services when traveling outside of the BCN service area, across the U.S. and internationally.  When traveling outside the U.S.consider purchasing Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core where you have access to doctors and hospitals in more than 200 countries and territories around the world.

GradCare Members

Graduate students enrolled in off-campus study or off-site field placement must complete the GradCare off-site registration form to obtain expanded coverage outside the GradCare network. The department administrators can email the completed form to BCN at [email protected], however, they should be aware that the form must include the specific program date span (begin date mm/dd/yyyy, end date mm/dd/yyyy) and the department head signature. If the department head is unable to sign, the department administrator should include in the body of the email that the form is "an approved off-site registration for (name and ID)." 


If you are planning extended travel outside the U.S., contact your pharmacist to make sure any existing prescriptions will allow the full amount of medication needed for your trip. If you are enrolled in the U-M prescription drug plan, a one-month extra refill of your prescriptions for overseas travel can be requested by contacting Magellan Rx at (888) 272-1346. A maximum of two overrides per medication are allowed each year.

Please note that some prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medications that are common in the U.S. may be illegal abroad. Check with the embassies of the countries you plan to visit to make sure that your prescription and OTC medications are permitted. Additional information concerning traveling with medications, managing your health while traveling internationally, and pre-departure travel tips are located on the Global Michigan site.

Dental Care

If you are enrolled in U-M's Delta Dental plan, you are covered by the Delta Dental passport program for dental care while traveling overseas. See Dental Care Outside the U.S. for more information. When outside of the United States, call AXA Assistance collect at (312) 356-5971 to receive a referral through an English-speaking operator.

Business Travel Accident Insurance

All active faculty and staff members traveling domestically and internationally while on official university business (excluding everyday travel to and from work) are provided coverage through MetLife for accidental death or permanent total disability. The university pays the full cost and you do not have to enroll in this coverage. See Travel Accident Insurance for more information on this benefit.

Travel Assistance

Along with Travel Accident Insurance, when traveling more than 100 miles from home, faculty and staff have access to Travel Assistance, a travel service administered by AXA Assistance USA, Inc. (AXA). Travel Assistance offers you and your dependents worldwide medical, travel, and concierge assistance services, 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year, while traveling internationally or domestically. If you have questions about the services, please call Travel Assistance at 800-454-3679 within the U.S. or +1 (312) 935-3783 (collect) outside the U.S. For additional information, visit using the login axa and the password travelassist.

Work-Related Injury or Illness

If you suffer a work-related illness or injury while traveling on university business, contact the following departments as soon as possible:

In the Event of a Death

If the deceased is a university employee, contact the following U-M departments:

GeoBlue International Business Traveler health insurance provides a repatriation of remains benefit for U-M faculty and staff when traveling overseas on university-related business, or if on personal/leisure travel if the GeoBlue personal/leisure insurance was purchased. Repatriation of remains arranges for the return of the deceased person's remains back to the place of residence.

When You Return

  • File any claims.
  • If you had a change in family status or dependent coverage, contact the SSC Contact Center at (734) 615-2000 or (866) 647-7657 toll free within 30 days of the event.
  • If you changed your address with the university while you were away, update your address on Wolverine Access.


University Travel-Related Policies and Standard Practice Guides