"Executive Coaching is designed to enhance organizational efficiency and productivity by accelerating leaders' growth and performance. Coaching engages leaders in customized ways tailored to their individuality. It is this customization that sets executive coaching apart from other leadership development opportunities." (Schidlow and Siders, 2014)
What is Executive Coaching?
Coaching is a short-to-medium-term relationship between a manager or senior leader and a consultant (internal or external) with the purpose of improving performance (Douglas and McCauley, 1999). Coaching is not networking, mentoring or therapy.
- Mentors can sit at any level in the hierarchy
- Ongoing relationship that can last for an extended period of time
- Provides emotional support, feedback on how to improve, and other advice
- Executive Coaches are senior leaders who undergo extensive training and certification
- Relationship is often shorter and generally has a set duration
- Aims to stimulate the coachee to uncover innate knowledge so he/she can achieve a sustainable result