Note: See SPG 201.30 or the applicable bargaining agreement for leave information including requirements for the use of paid time off prior to the leave effective date.
Note: The university is required to notify employees within 30 days if benefits have ended. Any notification sent past 30 days will require that all university contributions and employee contributions are charged to the department. Leave of absences that are not processed within 30 days of leave begin date will require the employing unit to absorb the cost of the university and employee contributions for benefits.
Checklist for Employee
- Speak with your supervisor or unit HR area as soon as you are aware that you may need a leave of absence.
- Work with your supervisor or unit HR area to complete appropriate leave of absence documentation and include supporting documentation. Note: A Leave of Absence Election Form and information regarding your benefit continuation will be mailed to your home address after your leave of absence request form has been processed.
- Keep in contact with your supervisor or unit HR area during your leave of absence to communicate any changes with your leave such as to request an extension or discuss the possibility of your return to work.
- No later than two weeks prior to returning from your leave contact your supervisor or unit HR area to let them know your date of return so your employment status can be reactivated.
- When you return from your leave, review your paystub for pay accuracy and continuing benefit deductions.
Note: After you return from a Military Leave of Absence, you are allowed to make extra contributions to the retirement plan to make up for those you missed during the leave. This option is provided under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA). Contact the Benefits Office if you would like to arrange to make these contributions, for more information, visit: Benefits Enrollment and Eligibility.
Checklist for Supervisor or Unit HR Area
- Contact employee via email/phone regarding leave request
- Complete PAR Transaction unpaid leave section (SSC Data Management will be added as the final approval if needed) and include supporting documentation for review and processing.
- Review gross pay registers and timesheets for appropriate pay.