North Campus Children's Center serves children three months of age to kindergarten-eligible with a variety of full-day, full-week or part-week enrollment options in a nurturing and stimulating environment. Children are honored as unique and competent individuals while being nurtured to become deep and creative thinkers.
The U-M Children's Centers are a part of University Human Resources. Christine Snyder, Director of Child and Family Care, has oversight of the three U-M Ann Arbor Children's Centers.
As a Reggio Emilia-inspired program, the North Campus Children’s Center offers early care and education for children three months of age to kindergarten-eligible that focuses on:
- Inquiry through play and exploration—We facilitate children’s learning by providing a thought-provoking environment that encourages creativity, collaboration and problem solving.
- Focused relationships—We value interconnectedness as a foundation for development. Our low teacher to child ratios allow us to engage with children more deeply, supporting them as individuals and as part of a larger community.
- Documentation—We honor the work of children by taking the time to thoughtfully and respectfully document their ideas and processes.
- Family engagement—We offer opportunities for families to engage in their child’s learning experiences, connect with one another and participate in program decision making.
- The Studio—We believe that children have a hundred ways of communicating or expressing themselves. Our studio provides children with opportunities to engage in focused work extending from classroom projects.
Teacher Qualifications and Staff-to-Child Ratios
Center staff members include teachers and associate teachers, many with degrees in Early Childhood Education and/or Child Development who have been with the program for many years. Our educators are complemented by temporary student employees, student teachers, or graduate-level researchers. Educators engage in weekly professional development that includes reflective consultation and dialogue/study groups.
Each group of children is supervised by professionally trained teachers. Teacher/child ratios are typically lower than national accreditation standards.
Location and Contact Information
North Campus Children's Center
2800 Plymouth Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Submitting an application will place your child on the waitlist for all three University of Michigan Ann Arbor Children's Centers. You will be notified of openings at all centers when your child is eligible.
Hours of Operation
8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday