This qualified change in status allows you to make changes to and enroll in benefits mid-year. The benefits affected by marriage are listed below.

Important Deadline

You have 30 days from the date of your marriage to add your new dependent to your benefits coverage.

If you do not enroll your new dependent within the 30-day deadline, you must wait until the next available Open Enrollment period to make changes to your benefits enrollments with the changes effective on January 1.

Enrolling Your New Spouse

To enroll, go to Benefits Self-Service on Wolverine Access. Select Initiate Life Events and follow the instructions. Click the enroll box on the Enroll Your Dependents section on the plan page for this dependent to add them to your benefit plan.

Health, Dental and Vision Plans

You will be allowed to add your new dependent to each of these benefits in which you are enrolled:

  • Health Plan (includes enrollment in the U-M Prescription Drug Plan)
  • Dental Plan
  • Vision Plan

Enrollment is not automatic; you must make changes in Wolverine Access within 30 days.

Dependent Life Insurance

If not previously enrolled, marriage allows you to newly enroll in this benefit.

Other Considerations

You may also need to update:

  • Your beneficiary designation. You must complete separate beneficiary designation forms for your life insurance plan and TIAA and Fidelity retirement savings plan investments.
  • Your name. Faculty and staff should complete the Address/Personal Data Form or call the SSC Contact Center at (734) 615-2000 OR toll-free at 1 (866) 647-7657. Students should contact the Registrar's Office at (734) 647-3507.
  • Your address, phone number, and emergency contact information. Select Employee Self-Service > Campus Personal Information in Wolverine Access.
  • Your federal and state W-4 tax withholding information. Select Employee Self-Service > Payroll and Compensation in Wolverine Access.


If you have any questions about adding your new spouse to your benefits, call the SSC Contact Center at 5-2000 from the Ann Arbor campus, (734) 615-2000 locally, or (866) 647-7657 toll free, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.