Employee Resources: U-M Student Temporary Employment - Ann Arbor Campus

Step One: Getting Organized

back to top

Step Two: Getting Hired

  • Apply, Interview and Complete Paperwork
    Once you have decided on the job(s) you would like to apply for, follow the instructions within the job posting to complete the application process.  After your interview is complete and the hiring department has extended a job offer,  be prepared to complete all of the required employment forms.  Reference the Complete Employment Paperwork section for required information.
  • Complete Employment Paperwork
  • Federal Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form
    Everyone in the United States, not just students, must complete this federal form when beginning a job with a new employer.  

    Although the form itself is easy to fill out, you must also present an original document or documents that establish your identity and employment eligibility. Review Page 9 of 9 of the New Form I-9 for a listing of acceptable documents.

  • Criminal Background History Consent Form
    You may be asked to complete a consent form at the time of your hire.  The information you will need to complete this form are your name, date of birth, race, sex and drivers license or state ID number.   View the Criminal Records Consent form HERE

back to top

Step 3: Getting Paid

  • Direct Deposit Authorization
    Direct Deposit is the University’s recommended method for delivering your paycheck.  It’s easy and convenient because your paycheck is deposited directly to your bank account, and you can access your pay stubs from any computer using Wolverine Access: Student Business
  • W4 Tax Forms (Federal and Michigan Tax Withholding)
    Upon hire, the University assumes a Federal and Michigan tax filing status of “single with no exemptions”.  If your filing or exemption status is different from this, please update that information in Wolverine Access: Student Business.  Look for the Federal and Michigan W4 links after you access Student Business.

    In most instances, you may update your Federal W-4 information using Wolverine Access.  First, follow the steps to view your W-4 information.  Then, you can make changes to your Federal W-4 information and submit them.  The ?HELP menu option on the "Federal W-4 Tax Information" webpage provides detailed information about making and submitting changes.

    If you are not a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident, you cannot update your Federal W-4 information using the web, and you must complete a hardcopy form. Both forms are available for printing from the W-4 page on Wolverine Access. 
  • Alien Certificate – Form 9835
    The University makes various types of payments to non-resident aliens.  These payments which may be non-taxable for United States and State of Michigan income tax purposes if:

    1. There is a tax treaty in effect with their country of residence and
    2. Specific articles under the tax treaty grant the exemption.

    These various types of payments to non-resident aliens include:

    • Salaries paid to teachers and researchers
    • Form G/G-2 payments for independent services
    • Fellowship/Scholarship payments
    • Wages paid to students

Income tax withholding rules for salary/wages paid to non-resident aliens require withholding at the graduated tax rates. Fellowship/scholarship payments to non-resident aliens are taxed at a 14% rate and Form G/G-2 payments at a 30% rate.

Upon entry to the U.S., all non-resident aliens should complete an "Alien Certificate - Form 9835" to ensure proper taxation for Federal, Social Security and State taxes. The form can be found at

  • Social Security
    Students who do not have a Social Security or T.I.N. number must obtain one immediately after they’re hired. Visit the Social Security Administration web site for details on how to apply.
  • Work Study Information
    Work-Study Employment is a financial aid program that is awarded to students who have financial need.  The program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. Work-Study employers pay only a percentage of the student's wages, while the federal or state government will pay the remaining amount.  Refer to the Office of Financial Aid website for additional information on the Work Study program.
  • Ending your Temporary Appointment
    Should you decide to leave your temporary job for any reason, it is important to communicate your plans to your supervisor.  A two week notice is generally customary when terminating any professional relationship.

back to top

Contact Us

Recruiting and Employment Services

Contact the Employment Services office if you have questions related to completing the online Student Employment Application, Form I-9, Direct Deposit or tax forms, criminal history consent form or New Employee Orientation information.

Recruiting and Employment Services
HR Payroll Service Center

University of Michigan
3003 S. State Street
G250 Wolverine Tower
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1281

Tel:            (734) 615-2000
E-mail:        hrpayrollsc@umich.edu
Tel:            (734) 615-2000 or toll free (866) 647-7657

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Office of Financial Aid, Student Employment Office

Contact the Student Employment Office for questions related to finding a job and Work-Study awards.

Student Employment Office
University of Michigan
2503 Student Activities Building
515 E. Jefferson Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316

E-mail:     student.employment@umich.edu
Tel:          (734) 763-4128
Fax:         (734) 615-2641

Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

back to top