Unconscious bias can exert an influence during the process of recruiting and hiring. This course provides a deeper look into how unconscious bias impacts decision making during the hiring process while looking at interventions to minimize the impact of bias in our hiring and selection processes.
You will learn to:
- Consider the potential influence of unconscious bias on decision-making during the recruitment and selection phases
- Review recruitment and selection materials to assess blind spots for bias
- Explore ways to minimize the impact of bias in recruitment and selection activities
You will benefit by:
- Examining how current hiring processes may inadvertently affect our ability to recruit the best possible candidates
- Positively influencing the hiring process in your organization
- Having access to tools and resources available to you through UHR
Anyone involved in hiring, especially hiring managers and search committee members
You may also be interested in participating in the Unconscious Bias Learning Suite from Organizational Learning, exploring the Bias collection or taking the course Confronting Bias: Thriving Across Our Differences in LinkedIn Learning prior to or following this course. LinkedIn Learning is available at no cost to active faculty and staff (including temporary employees).
If you are a Michigan Medicine employee, please note that the Unconscious Bias Learning Suite does not fulfill the state requirement for implicit bias education. The Office for Health Equity and Inclusion has created a self-paced online learning suite called Explore: DEI Learning Model and will have an unconscious bias online course to fulfill the state requirement available at a later date.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Leadership and Management
Domain and Expectation
- Lead innovation and change
- Foster and promote diverse teams
- Collaborate and build inclusive relationships
- Build positive culture
- Leading a Team
- Leading Multiple Teams
- Leading the Organization
- Level 2: Skill building