COVID-19 UPDATE: All in-person Foundations of Leadership sessions have been cancelled through August 31, 2020. To continue your professional development you can check out our New Leaders collection on LinkedIn Learning. LinkedIn Learning is free to all active faculty and staff. You can also view more information about LinkedIn Learning at U-M.
Foundations of Leadership is a new leadership development program available to leaders who are new to the university or their leadership role with 0-3 years of supervisory or management experience and at least one direct report.
Foundations of Leadership is an interactive blended learning program that focuses on expanding the capacity of individuals to perform in leadership roles by focusing on five key leadership expectations:
- Coach and Develop Talent
- Foster and Promote Diverse Teams
- Lead Innovation and Change
- Solve Problems
The program will consist of six facilitator led sessions and several online components, which will equate to 12-16 hours of development time per month over a six-month period. The sessions are designed to increase awareness of leadership models and time-tested principles as well as provide several skill building opportunities to ensure they can easily be applied in the workplace.
You will learn to:
- Develop strategies to solve common challenges leaders may encounter in their new role
- Adapt business insights to assess and support consistent delivery of exceptional quality service
- Modify your communication style to assist with conflict management and commitment levels amongst employees
- Foster a collaborative environment that utilizes the strengths and resources of your entire team to create a positive culture
- Employ foundational aspects of change management concepts to facilitate change and mitigate resistance
- Integrate a coaching mindset to help grow the capabilities of others
Leaders who are new to the organization or their leadership role with 0-3 years of supervisory or management experience and at least one direct report
Foundations of Leadership replaces the following management courses previously offered by Learning & Professional Development and Organizational Effectiveness inside Michigan Medicine:
- Supervisory Essentials
- Foundations of Supervision I
- Foundations of Supervision II
- Managing Successfully (Michigan Medicine)
- Leading Successfully (Michigan Medicine)
These courses will no longer be offered.
Anyone who has previously completed one of these courses may not need to participate in Foundations of Leadership. We have created a page with additional development resources for Foundations of Supervision I alumni. Any questions about the Foundations of Leadership program can be emailed to FOL-Admin@umich.edu.
This new course will provide consistent leadership development strategies to faculty and staff across all work locations. By consolidating courses, we’re focusing on the most critical learning objectives and also making it easier to participate by removing the cost barrier.
Sessions will be offered at both the Administrative Services Building near central campus and the North Campus Administrative Complex on north campus. You can sign up for a session at either location based on your preference.
Breakfast and lunch will be provided to participants on in-class days.
Pre-registration with a shortcode is required as there is a $50 cancellation fee that takes effect two weeks prior to the course. If you attend the course, your department will not be charged.
- Leadership and Management
- Leading People and Teams
Domain and Expectation
- Create value for the diverse communities we serve
- Create a shared vision
- Foster and promote diverse teams
- Collaborate and build inclusive relationships
- Coach and develop others
- Build positive culture
- Leading a Team
- Level 2: Skill building