Change it Up! brings bystander intervention skills to the University of Michigan community for the purpose of building inclusive, respectful and safe communities. It is based on a nationally recognized four-stage bystander intervention model that helps individuals intervene in situations that negatively impact individuals, organizations and the campus community.
You will learn to:
- Identify self-awareness and social responsibility as qualities of strong personal leadership
- Discuss your own and others’ identities and experiences
- Determine the various options for effectively intervening during a negative situation
- Develop your ability to assess which intervention option is based on the situation
- Discuss and practice how to leverage bystander intervention skills within their campus communities
You will benefit by:
- Receiving high impact learning through educational theater
- Increasing your motivation to intervene in harmful situations
- Gaining ability to assess the effectiveness of multiple options for intervention
- Expanding your skills and confidence to successfully intervene in harmful situations
The content in this program has been used for student groups across campus, and is now being offered for University of Michigan faculty and staff. Through the use of educational theater, Change it Up! Provides opportunities for participants to discuss and practice how to leverage bystander intervention skills within their campus communities.
Any staff or faculty member wanting to learn bystander intervention for the purpose of building inclusive, respectful, and safe communities
These sessions are being offered at no cost to U-M faculty and staff, thanks to sponsorship from U-M executive officers.
Departments can request any of the core courses to be held at their work location free of charge.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Domain and Expectation
- Collaborate and build inclusive relationships
- Act with courage and confidence
- Build positive culture
- Member of a Team
- Leading a Team
- Leading Multiple Teams
- Leading the Organization
- Level 2: Skill building