Medicaid or CHIP Eligibility Change

When you experience a change that results in a gain or loss of eligibility for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP, also known as MIChild in Michigan), you may be able to make certain adjustments to your benefits related to your status change within 60 days.

Effective April 1, 2009, the Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 ("CHIPRA") adds two new special enrollment events. You or your dependent(s) will be permitted to enroll or cancel coverage in the university’s sponsored health plan coverage in either of the following circumstances:

  • You or your dependent’s Medicaid or state CHIP coverage is canceled due to a loss of eligibility. You must request to enroll in U-M’s group health plan within sixty (60) days from the date you or your dependent loses
  • You or your dependent(s) enrolls in Medicaid or the state CHIP. You may cancel coverage in U-M’s group health plan within sixty (60) days of your or your dependent’s coverage effective

To make a change to your university’s benefits plans please complete and submit a Benefits Enrollment/Change Form (PDF) along with your documentation of the change within sixty (60) days after gaining or losing coverage in Medicaid or the state CHIP program. Your change will be effective as of the event date.

Learn more about Medicaid and Michigan's CHIP program from the Michigan Department of Community Health or call (888) 988-6300 toll-free.

If you have any questions regarding your eligibility for U-M benefits, call the SSC Contact Center at 5-2000 from the Ann Arbor campus, (734) 615-2000 locally, or (866) 647-7657 toll free, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Premium Assistance Under Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

If you or your children are eligible for Medicaid or CHIP and you are also eligible for health coverage from your employer, your state may have a premium assistance program that can help pay for coverage, using funds from their Medicaid or CHIP programs. The CHIP Notice identifies a list of states offering a premium assistance program as of January 31, 2019. As of the date of this Notice, the State of Michigan does not participate in this program.

If you or your children aren’t eligible for Medicaid or CHIP, you won’t be eligible for these premium assistance programs but you may be able to buy individual insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. For more information, visit

If you or your dependents are not currently enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP, and you think you or any of your dependents might be eligible for either of these programs, contact your state Medicaid or CHIP office or dial (877) KIDS NOW or visit to find out how to apply. If you qualify, ask your state if it has a program that might help you pay the premiums for an employer-sponsored plan.

If you or your dependents are eligible for premium assistance under Medicaid or CHIP, as well as eligible under your employer plan, your employer must allow you to enroll in your employer plan if you aren’t already enrolled. This is called a “special enrollment” opportunity, and you must request coverage within 60 days of being determined eligible for premium assistance. If you have questions about enrolling in your employer plan, contact the Department of Labor by visiting the  Employee Benefits Security Administration website, or call (866) 444-EBSA (3272).