Domestic Partnerships

The University of Michigan offers benefits for adult dependents who meet the requirements of the Other Qualified Adult (OQA) category. Although U-M does not offer benefits based on a domestic partnership, coverage for an adult who shares a primary residence with the U-M employee can be elected when all OQA requirements are met:

  • The employee is eligible for U-M benefits; and
  • The employee does not already enroll a spouse in health or other benefits; and
  • The Other Qualified Adult (OQA), at the time of proposed enrollment, shares a primary residence with the employee and has done so for the previous 6 continuous months, other than as an employee or tenant.

For more information, including eligibility when two members of a household work at U-M, see Eligible Dependents.