Dependent Entering the Country

This qualified change in status will allow you to make changes to and enroll in benefits mid-year. 

Important Deadline

You have 30 days from the date your dependent enters the country to add your dependent to your benefits coverage.

If you do not enroll your dependent within the 30-day deadline, you must wait until the next available Open Enrollment period to make changes to your benefits enrollments.

Enrolling Your Dependent

To enroll, go to Benefits Self-Service on Wolverine Access. Select Initiate Life Events and follow the instructions. Click the enroll box on the Enroll Your Dependents section on the plan page for this dependent to add them to your  U-M benefit plan coverage.

You will be allowed to add your new dependent to each of these benefits in which you are enrolled:

  • Health Plan (includes enrollment in the U-M Prescription Drug Plan)
  • Dental Plan
  • Vision Plan

Enrollment is not automatic; you must make changes in Wolverine Access within 30 days.


If you have any questions about adding your dependent to your benefits, call the SSC Contact Center at 5-2000 from the Ann Arbor campus, (734) 615-2000 locally, or (866)647-7657 toll free, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.